Oil leak thru pick-up harness, fixable?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne z

Reaction score
Well I finaly pinned down my oil leak, coming out from the wires in the upper square rubber grommet of the left cover. I removed the middle gear cover for access, and I can push/pull the pick-up wires thru the rubber grommet. The stator wires and lower grommet are tight and not leaking.

Has anyone had any luck at re-sealing the wires inside the grommet? Maybe flushing thejoint well with carb cleaner and straw, and draging/packing the joint with oil resistant silicone?

Is the harness replaceable without replacing the pick-ups?

Thanks.
Wayne

Be-careful about excess amounts of sealant in the grommet area! It could release and end-up plugging an oil galley.

You can use yamabond 4 to seal up the wires. clean the grommet like you mentioned and dry well, slide the grommet down the wire a bit then thoroughly coat the wires to fill area inside the grommet and push the grommet back over while still wet. Smooth sealant against grommet and remove the excess. You can also coat the outside of the grommet to help seal that up as well. Wait at least 24 hours before starting the engine to allow time for the sealant to setup properly

Yamabond is The Stuff. Good advice on the method, too. As he said, let it dry adequately.

What is the difference between the different yamabonds? Ive looked on ebay, and Ive seen yamabond 4, 5 and 7?

Well I finaly pinned down my oil leak, coming out from the wires in the upper square rubber grommet of the left cover. I removed the middle gear cover for access, and I can push/pull the pick-up wires thru the rubber grommet. The stator wires and lower grommet are tight and not leaking.

Has anyone had any luck at re-sealing the wires inside the grommet? Maybe flushing thejoint well with carb cleaner and straw, and draging/packing the joint with oil resistant silicone?

Is the harness replaceable without replacing the pick-ups?

Thanks.
Wayne

I noticed you have an older bike and like mine the leak is from the cloth covered wire wicking up the oil and creeping along outside the cover. The solution I did was splice non cloth covered wires inside by the stator. You can see what I mean in my How To section post where I replaced the pick up coils. The post is here.

OK, I followed Redbone's method except I used oil resistant silicone instead of Yamabond because I had it on hand out here in the boonies.

The leak was from the 3 smooth wires to the aftermarket stator. They each have their seperate hole and all 3 were loose in the holes.

Got about 90 miles so far and no leaks at all anywhere, not a drop on the floor yet is a good sign too!

Back