oil light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithben1983

Reaction score
So I saw that my oil light went red during acceleration about 3 weeks ago and I did some reading and it seams the oil censor is in the front of the pan and not to worry. when I first saw it I was really getting on it but now i am seeing it when I am just kinda getting on it, not hard at all. Its worrying me could it be this oring stuff happening to me?

What's your oil level with the bike on the centerstand? If mine is all the way to the top of the fill line, the light rarely comes on. Even just a little under the fill line will make it come on frequently.

The oil light is just level, not pressure. It's perfectly normal for it to light. I've seen mine come on even in 4th gear acceleration(especially if going uphill), and oil level is perfectly fine, as is the pressure.

As for the "o-ring", you can either:
-Ignore it. Many people have gone 100k+ miles and never had problems, even with "popped" rings".
-Drop the oil pan and check. This requires removal of the exhaust. Not a huge issue, but kind of annoying. There's several "fixes" available.
-Install an oil pressure kit from Tom at Cycle One Off. They install in 15 minutes and are very nice quality. I was contemplating this issue as well, and decided to check my pressure by installing a gauge. I found my oil pressure was fine (even a bit higher than it seems the normal is), so I left it alone.

So I saw that my oil light went red during acceleration about 3 weeks ago and I did some reading and it seams the oil censor is in the front of the pan and not to worry. when I first saw it I was really getting on it but now i am seeing it when I am just kinda getting on it, not hard at all. Its worrying me could it be this oring stuff happening to me?

Oil pressure gauge is good piece of mind, as is the Morley HD oil pump mod. 10 psi at idle when hot makes me feel warm and fuzzy! My oil light comes on often under hard acceleration since replacing my clutch disk.
Steve-o

I've done the O-Ring fix on 2 bikes. The 94 was in immaculate shape judging by the overall condition of the bike. It's O-Ring was popped out of place. To look at the 89 you'd guess that it's O-Ring was definitely popped but that wasn't the case. Possibly the PO had been in there and installed the upgraded plumbing from Yamaha. On the 94, I did the Kawi O-Ring and the COO Fix. On the 89 I did only the Kawi O-Ring and a newer rubber bumper on the bottom... I have a Oil Pressure Gauge on the 94. Overall, the pressure came up some but may have been survivable without the O-Ring fix if I'd planned to ride it cautiously, not over reving by missing gears......

If your bike has survived 14 years or so without going 'bang' then I suspect that you needn't worry about the O ring.

Just make sure that you allow the motor to warm up before giving it some welly.

The oil light is just level, not pressure. It's perfectly normal for it to light. I've seen mine come on even in 4th gear acceleration(especially if going uphill), and oil level is perfectly fine, as is the pressure.

As for the "o-ring", you can either:
-Ignore it. Many people have gone 100k+ miles and never had problems, even with "popped" rings".
-Drop the oil pan and check. This requires removal of the exhaust. Not a huge issue, but kind of annoying. There's several "fixes" available.
-Install an oil pressure kit from Tom at Cycle One Off. They install in 15 minutes and are very nice quality. I was contemplating this issue as well, and decided to check my pressure by installing a gauge. I found my oil pressure was fine (even a bit higher than it seems the normal is), so I left it alone.

OR, borrow a bore scope and have a look see without having to pull the pipes, pan and all that. Think removing the level sensor gives you the best access.

After thought. My clutch in the 94 was slipping after I did the O-Ring fix. So when accelerating, everything was "Cushioned from extreme G's. I had CaptainKyle pull the clutch apart and he bead blasted the steels. He also replace the half plate at the rear with a whole plate. The next time I ran the bike was against an R1. My oil light came on and stayed on at 8,000 rpm in 4th gear and continued until I cut the throttle in 5th. Same concerns, same explanations,,, no damage just a light.

So the general consensous is dont pay attention to the oil light? (as long as you have oil that is) Mine came on several times through some corners tonight. I was use to seeing it on hard acceleration but not just rolling through a few turns, I wasnt cornering hard. I did give it a good beating about 5 miles before hand though:confused2:

Mike

So the general consensous is dont pay attention to the oil light? (as long as you have oil that is) Mine came on several times through some corners tonight. I was use to seeing it on hard acceleration but not just rolling through a few turns, I wasnt cornering hard. I did give it a good beating about 5 miles before hand though:confused2:

Mike

If my oil gets around the lower marker or under it a little. The light will come on during cornering. Especially when I'm in the apex and on the gas while exiting.

I've heard the only way to aquire it would be to sacrafice a mod monkey to the V-Max Gods................Don't know of anyone who has actually caught one yet..................

If my oil gets around the lower marker or under it a little. The light will come on during cornering. Especially when I'm in the apex and on the gas while exiting.

I checked it on the centerstand after I parked it last night and the level is about 1/16" below the full line. It was after the apex but I wasnt "on the gas", just rolling on the throttle, cruizin home. Like I said, I had already given it it's beating so I was just in cruise mode. It was a right hand corner, I wonder if the rh lean allowed more oil in the clutch cover to cause the sensor to show low oil? Guess I'm not too worried, seems this is normal from the posts I have read.

Mike

Don't worry about it.....as long as YOU see oil in the sight glass, you're fine. Don't let an old, poorly placed and calibrated sensor tell you that your eyes don't work.

Back