Oil Pressure Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramalama

Reaction score
I installed an oil pressure gauge kit from cycleoneoff a couple of weeks ago just because I don't really feel comfortable not being able to see some type of oil pressure reading. Anyways, I really have no idea what the op gauge should be reading under normal conditions but mine seems to be reading in the neighborhood of about 25 psi with the engine at operating temp and running about 3k rpm. What bothers me, though, is that at idle the gauge shows no oil pressure at all. Is this normal for these bikes? BTW, 93 VMAX. I read somewhere that they have very low oil pressure at idle but didn't realize they were talking about practically nothing.

Yes this is normal, and where you are installing the gauge at is not really designed to monitor oil psi, what you do want to watch is at an idle as soon as you rev up the motor that the oil psi goes up as well. JIm 3933

Yes this is normal, and where you are installing the gauge at is not really designed to monitor oil psi, what you do want to watch is at an idle as soon as you rev up the motor that the oil psi goes up as well. JIm 3933

It does. Pretty much as soon as it comes off idle the needle on the gauge starts to rise. Now I can sleep better tonight. Thanks for the help!

It does. Pretty much as soon as it comes off idle the needle on the gauge starts to rise. Now I can sleep better tonight. Thanks for the help!

Normal is 9 - 10 psi for each 1000 rpm's

ex. 3000 rpm + 27# - 30# of o/p.

It's a hi volume not a high pressure pump, almost nothing at idle is normal....scary ain't it!! :biglaugh:

Ramalama: My 94 reads zero at 1000 rpm or lower. I raised the idle to 1050 so it shows 2-3 lbs. The 89 shows 5-7 at that idle speed, so that's cool too. I'm sure the gauges are just a tiny bit different in their reading, they aren't calibrated to closely I would imaging. Both read about what you said yours reads....

I checked out that thread that you linked, COP RUNNER. Very interesting. Looks like there isn't much to worry about. I also tried to find some info on the HD op kit at Morley's Muscle. Does anyone know if this kit is meant to increase pressure or volume or both?

I checked out that thread that you linked, COP RUNNER. Very interesting. Looks like there isn't much to worry about. I also tried to find some info on the HD op kit at Morley's Muscle. Does anyone know if this kit is meant to increase pressure or volume or both?

It does both and does them quite well. Kit recommended plus an oil gauge. Did the kit and new o-ring and rubber stopper 2 years ago. 4-6 lbs oil pressure hot at idle after a 140 mile run today in high 70 deg. weather.
Steve-o

I have Moley's HD overdrive oil system gives me right around 10 psi on my OP gauge after warmup. Before the mod I was getting the typical 0 psi.

Latest posts

Back