OK I'm in............

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hondaman

Reaction score
So....... new to vmax but not new to bikes. At 58 I have been riding for 40 years now. I am located on the midcoast of maine. I have been looking for a vmax for a while now and finally found one. Yellow 1994. Picked it up this spring and have been loving it. This forum has been very helpful with issues all old bike have. Thank you to the many members here. She was a little rough when i got it but i'm slowly working out the bugs. As an older rider I have been lusting over the vmax since 85. Its a shame it took me this long to get one. Currently own a white 93 vfr750, black 05sv1000, 90 red vfr750 (not running yet). Sold the ninja 250 to buy the vmax. Happy with the swap. Most of my bikes are sport oriented so the muscle
bike is a change for me. Yes its heavy (not really...my friend has a rocket 3) but vboost is such a blast. Mods so far Upgraded regulator and wiring, BIG tach (love it) muffler repack, gps speedo, volt meter, HH front pads(wow helped alot). Looking forward to all the future posts. 20230803_173238.jpg20230709_114742.jpg

Last edited:
A good selection of fun to be had. The VFR750, that's a gear-driven cams model, and the single-sided swingarm? And the optional white bodywork and wheels? A pain to clean, but I like a white bike.

Glad you seem to have spent some time going through the frequently asked questions, and doing some upgrading. You have the newer CDI box, and the 43 mm forks, and better 4-piston brakes. Look at the Race-Tech cartridge emulators and fork springs, two things which will help you be able to get more enjoyment out of your bike, since you have the sportbike riding experience. After awhile, you might consider going to radial tires, which requires at least a rear wheel swap. Radial tires, and the wheels they require, I consider to be the best handling improvement you can make to a VMax, especially if you ride at 'increased speeds,' and are acquainted to cornering with skill.

thanks sadly i think the vmax will never handle as good as the vfr. Up till the vfr I only had one bike at a time then came the pearl white vfr. I decided it would never be sold. But I wanted different bikes too. So the collection started. Everything on the vmax is manly and harsh. I once roder the vfr and halfway through the ride realized I still had my slippers on.The sv1000 is my first fuel injection bike. Also my first vtwin. Absolutely love the low end grunt. Sadly the vfr is still my favorite bike because it just does everything well. Yes the gear driven vfour is a wonderful engine.20190512_111821-1.jpg20190714_143508-1.jpg

1693082770540.png

While I agree with the VMax not cornering as well as a VFR 750, changes can make the riding experience a better one for the pilot. The ones I suggested will make the bike much different in a better direction than as-stock. Adding a decent pair of rear shocks, and you would be surprised at the improvement over a non-altered bike. With those mods, you might feel you're able to show the VFR that the VMax has a higher top speed without feeling like you're going to fly right-off the saddle, though that has more to do with the aerodynamics of an upright seating position compared to a sportbike crouch behind a fairing.

I doubt many of us are willing to bet our driver's licenses about reaching those types of speeds, and that's what track days are for. The VMax was designed around early 1980's suspension technology, so 40 years of improvements better make our rides better! Recall that the H-D Hydra-Glide relied on a sprung saddle until the late 1950's, (1958) for its 'rear suspension.' The Duo-Glide name was what the factory called it with the installation of shock absorbers. It was the Hydra-Glide in 1957, sans-shock absorbers. The FL had several other derivations of the same basic package. The FLH and FLHF had foot-shift and higher compression engines (8.0:1 compared to 7.25:1). Progress.

1693083837991.png

Or 'lack of progress,' as the Big Twins made available the tank shifter throughout the Panhead series, and for several years of the Shovelhead, until 1978. A batch of tank shifters was made for the Baltimore P.D. at the beginning of the 1979 model year, but those were unavailable to the public.

Last edited:
Every bike i have owned has had its own character. The vmax included. Its not bad .......its just evil. That is the point. And yes every bike has a dead sticker.
About 40 years ago I met Jerry Garcia when they played at Gusman Theater in downtown Miami. I was given a backstage pass, and watched the entire concert from just behind the stage right curtain. While I was never a 'traveling DeadHead,' I did see them when they came to town.

So....... new to vmax but not new to bikes. At 58 I have been riding for 40 years now. I am located on the midcoast of maine. I have been looking for a vmax for a while now and finally found one. Yellow 1994. Picked it up this spring and have been loving it. This forum has been very helpful with issues all old bike have. Thank you to the many members here. She was a little rough when i got it but i'm slowly working out the bugs. As an older rider I have been lusting over the vmax since 85. Its a shame it took me this long to get one. Currently own a white 93 vfr750, black 05sv1000, 90 red vfr750 (not running yet). Sold the ninja 250 to buy the vmax. Happy with the swap. Most of my bikes are sport oriented so the muscle
bike is a change for me. Yes its heavy (not really...my friend has a rocket 3) but vboost is such a blast. Mods so far Upgraded regulator and wiring, BIG tach (love it) muffler repack, gps speedo, volt meter, HH front pads(wow helped alot). Looking forward to all the future posts. View attachment 90888View attachment 90887
nice selection..

Back