oldest surviving vmax....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine has been looking at buying an '85 Vmax which is in exceptional 'showroom' quality. He knew I had an '86, so was asking for my opinion. He has checked the bikes numbers and the serial/frame number ends with 000003. would this make the bike the 3rd Vmax ever made??

A friend of mine has been looking at buying an '85 Vmax which is in exceptional 'showroom' quality. He knew I had an '86, so was asking for my opinion. He has checked the bikes numbers and the serial/frame number ends with 000003. would this make the bike the 3rd Vmax ever made??

i was under the impression all yam numbers start with 101 on the end,so therefore the 101 would be the earliest but i'm sure a member in the know will be along soon to clarify ,many thanks john

Since he is in the philippines, I wonder if its a japanese model? Does anyone know how that numbering system starts?

Nice!
Does the venture mill have the vmax heads amd top end?
I just about landed on a 1300 Venture today for a low end for my 99max.

Does the Vmax have sequential engine numbering to "match" the frames?

P0 did not have original vmax engine so I don't have it. The 1200 venture is bone stock except for carbs and vboost.I just pick up a 1300 motor to put in it. I have vmax heads to put on the 1300.

P0 did not have original vmax engine so I don't have it. The 1200 venture is bone stock except for carbs and vboost.I just pick up a 1300 motor to put in it. I have vmax heads to put on the 1300.

Nice, I have been peeking around for a 1300 I can use for the vmax. Its running great and making pretty silly power for an internally stock max but looking at the gear ratios of the XVZ1300 interests me since my stomping grounds are SD, ND, WY and MT with all the open roads, I may even go to a Venture R&P depending if I dont loose much of that blistering performance.

My tour bike is an 89 Venture 1300, I have a set of Vmax heads, cams, intakes/vboost and fixins ready to go on after this touring season is over. I like the idea of +100cc and shorter gears. I love my max but I find it pretty high strung for the long hihway pulls.

Hello all, Killjoy here. I'm the proud new owner of a 16k mile, black 1985 max, #0245.
She is in immaculate condition and has been stored indoors all her life. Although she hasn't been ridden in a few years I look forward to getting her going and enjoying Her company. Having never ridden a max (but just about everything else) Im looking forward to a new experience.
Btw the license plate will either say BADCO or DSTRYR

Thought I posted in this thread but guess not....a couple months ago I found this CA garage find.....'85, 4760 miles, one-owner, complete, original, un-restored, #00286. I have the receipts from the shop that charged the PO $2515 in May 2016 ($1400+ was carb work....which I re-did) tires, and some other stuff.....the guy put 40 miles on it and put it up for sale....:confused2:

I've rebuilt the masters, calipers & slave, gonna put new valve cover gaskets on, store it for a few years and see what happens.

Attachments

• 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 23
  • 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 21
Danny, that looks very clean! It might actually increase in value, if you're on the right-side of things $-wise. I think that would be of interest to a Japanese buyer, there must be some websites they go to for acquiring decent condition bikes for return to the fatherland. I suppose ebay is the defacto place, but I bet that once the bike returns to Japan they disassemble it completely and refurbish it, and either hold onto it if it's for their collection, or peddle it to some deep-pockets local collector.

Looks like the amethyst paint version? I have a mid-year 1985 production model that looks identical to that, but it's titled as a 1986.

Thought I posted in this thread but guess not....a couple months ago I found this CA garage find.....'85, 4760 miles, one-owner, complete, original, un-restored, #00286. I have the receipts from the shop that charged the PO $2515 in May 2016 ($1400+ was carb work....which I re-did) tires, and some other stuff.....the guy put 40 miles on it and put it up for sale....:confused2:

I've rebuilt the masters, calipers & slave, gonna put new valve cover gaskets on, store it for a few years and see what happens.

Wow, does that look nice!!!!!!!!

Danny, that looks very clean! It might actually increase in value, if you're on the right-side of things $-wise. I think that would be of interest to a Japanese buyer, there must be some websites they go to for acquiring decent condition bikes for return to the fatherland. I suppose ebay is the defacto place, but I bet that once the bike returns to Japan they disassemble it completely and refurbish it, and either hold onto it if it's for their collection, or peddle it to some deep-pockets local collector.

Looks like the amethyst paint version? I have a mid-year 1985 production model that looks identical to that, but it's titled as a 1986.

Thanks Philip, it's already increased $500 since I've owned it. I won't tell you what value NADA puts on this bike this bike but I will post a link for you.....http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1985/Yamaha/VMX12N-V-MAX/Values

I'm not sure this is a 'concourse' bike but it's very, very close!

Wow, does that look nice!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dave, I can find nothing wrong or un-original on this bike....except what the CA bike shop fucked up in the carbs, but I took care of all that.

Oh wait....I put S/S Allen bolts in the carbs....if I show the bike (which I'm definitely gonna do) I may put the oem phillips screws back in....or maybe just take the hit in points. :confused2:

And the tires....they aren't stock either but I'll change them when the time comes.

Yes, dark amethyst....I never saw one this color in person, very pretty! It's also taken me quite a while to learn the damn spelling of the name!

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 14
Back