Online Motorcycle Technician Course

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtystinknape

Reaction score
I have been thinking about taking an Online Motorcycle technician course through Penn Foster or one of the many that are offered. I have no doubt that I will learn a lot more than I know now but I don't see how you can effectively learn something mechanical if you are not actually doing some hands on along with it. For example, I could not just read a book on a weapon and master it's capabilities without breaking it down, studying the inner working's and firing it. I really want to become mechanically proficient with mine and all bikes for that matter but do not want to waste my time and money either. I just don't have the time to go to school and do not have anything to "practice" on. I definitely am not going to use my bike......I value my life. Does anybody have any first hand experience with these courses or know anyone that has taken one? If so, what sort of results did you/they have? Thanks.

I took an online motorcycle mechanics course 10 years ago. It's great to learn the basics how motorcycles function like electrics, different engine configs, trannys, etc. But, don't expect to dive into your bike like a pro. You will have to attend schools like MMI for that....or get a junker bike, take it part, ask questions on a forum such as this, put it back together. Buying tools is another consideration.

I took an online motorcycle mechanics course 10 years ago. It's great to learn the basics how motorcycles function like electrics, different engine configs, trannys, etc. But, don't expect to dive into your bike like a pro. You will have to attend schools like MMI for that....or get a junker bike, take it part, ask questions on a forum such as this, put it back together. Buying tools is another consideration.

thats actually what i did. i wanted to learn a bit more so i started small. my roommates and i picked up a 85 rebel that didn't run for $400. we rebuilt the carb (singular haha) and had to fix the starter clutch and now it starts easier than our 05 yzf600, 03 vmax or 86 bmw k75c we have at the house...

it was a good learning experience, the bike has either 10k or 20k miles on it, not sure, but i bet with the 400 down and 100 in parts we put into it we could turn around and sell it for 1k.

Latest posts

Back