Opinions on a potential "new to me" Vmax.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I'm pretty new here, but some of you know that I'm on the prowl for a newish Vmax. I've been looking primarily at 07's, but considering 03' to '06's as well.

Anyway, I came across a Vmax for sale near me today that is MUCH older. It's an '86 model with 28K on the clock and he's asking for $2900. He was asking for $3600 last week. I've asked the seller for more pics and details on the bike's history beyond what his ad provides which I've posted below.

In any case, what do you all think is a fair price for the bike and what sort of gotcha's or red flags might I be well advised to look out for? I'd much prefer a newer model, but if I end up with an older model I can more easily justify painting it as well as some upgrades or repairs. Plus, I could probably sell the CF top and scoops for a little cash to help toward paint and repairs. It would be a shame to paint over them.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

NEED CASH MUST SELL!!! '86 Yamaha V-Max 1200 with 28k miles. Runs Great! Clean title in hand. 1200 miles on Tires. New clutch slave cylinder. Very fast, not for begginers. Newer carbon fiber tank and fenders. 105 mph in 3rd. Approx 140 horse power. Tags good through 06/'11. Test drives with cash in hand and endorsement.
Rocky 360-977-1664 Will consider reasonable offers only.
Here are the pics that he posted:

3pb3o73lb5Qa5P95S19850ecce942de2a1b23.jpg

3nc3o83l45O75Pf5Sd98509365f04e8f115b5.jpg

3n53pd3o95Oc5Q75Se985004c349eac5713e8.jpg

3n73k23l85O05Sd5R19858952600e75d119cc.jpg

I would ask to see if the second gear issue has been fixed. Maybe see if he has any service records too and ask for a compression reading for each cylinder.

Not sure if this will help you but I just paid $5200 for an 03 with 6,000 miles on it.

I would ask to see if the second gear issue has been fixed. Maybe see if he has any service records too and ask for a compression reading for each cylinder.

Good call on each of those.

Not sure if this will help you but I just paid $5200 for an 03 with 6,000 miles on it.

Actually it does help. It just reinforces my original thinking that I am much better off getting a '03 to '07 model with low miles, even if it is more.

I could see buying this bike only to sink $5K into it so that it's up to my expectations. Then I'd just have an expensive old bike.

Ugh.

FWIW:

I paid $4000 this spring for a mint condition garage kept 97 VMax with 7000 miles on it.

I'd say keep looking.

FWIW:

I paid $4000 this spring for a mint condition garage kept 97 VMax with 7000 miles on it.

I'd say keep looking.

Patience is a virtue ... so I am told. Thanks for your input. I think to "keep looking" is probably the best advise right now.

I've got an eye on a '03 with 3000 miles on it that is being sold for $5600. I think that's a pretty fair price, except when I spoke with the seller, he mentioned quite casually that it had been "left out one winter" and had some cosmetic blemishes including clear coat flaking off and calcium buildup around some of the nuts and bolts. Hmmmm ....

I got an '86 with 37k miles last year and paid way too much (4k), but could not afford the prices '03-'07 command.

My '86 has no gearbox problems, was mostly stock (as far as engine was concerned) and has proved to be a decent bike so far. I sure wish I'd kept looking and especially found this site earlier though, 'cos for 4k I think you can get anything from '85 to '00 with a bit of luck.

I wish I had a '99 or up, just for the better forks, brakes, digital ignition and engine fixes, but other than that my '86 rocks and I won't get rid of it unless I find an absolute bargain of a newer one..

_____

also meant to say - the good thing about mine was that even though it had 37k miles, it had actually been maintained so all carb boots for example are good, so are the fork seals and many other perishable. I found some scary shit too, which was down to some retarded PO or stealer along the line, but generally it was all good. Needed head bearings and tires replaced, and missed a few silly bits, but that was it.

What I would NEVER buy, is a really old bike with really low miles - then you know all it's done was sitting around, and no maintenance..

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd keep looking. Get the newest, best cared for Vmax you can afford. For not much more money, you can get a much newer bike. Not to say an 86 vmax is a money pit, but rubber parts are pretty much done on something 23 years old.

If it were me, I'd keep looking. Get the newest, best cared for Vmax you can afford. For not much more money, you can get a much newer bike. Not to say an 86 vmax is a money pit, but rubber parts are pretty much done on something 23 years old.

I'm very quickly finding that to be the consensus.

I'm hoping that the poor weather, which generally arrives around late September herein the NW, will bring about some more motivated sellers. Hopefully sellers that have pristine late model bikes with low miles.

Patience grasshopper ... patience.

I see you are. As am I. I'm Hero Blob on that site.

Hey there Hero.

Yeah. I mostly use R3owners.com. I am signed up with the *.net sight, but don't tend to use it. I have the same name wherever I go, so that keeps it simple.

I'm only an honorary member here ... given that I am just a "wannabe" V-Max owner.

Keep in mind that low miles is not always good. Sitting for long time intervals is also hard on parts.

Sean

I paid 3400 for my 1994 Max with 25ooo.o miles...BUT I was after the Yellow Paint...(its a Yamaha thing with me) It had to be perfect factory paint and yellow, and of course everything else had to be pretty close to right also. I love mine, had the numbers ran by Yamaha and she checked out with NO recall or warranty fixes. 25000 trouble free miles so far. PIPES this weekend !!! YA HOOOOOOO!

that 86 also doesn't have stock rims, or side covers. looks like a lot was replaced. with tha tmuch money put into it and the huge price drop, i would tend to be skeptical

Yep. After all these posts I am just going to bide my time and keep aiming for a 2007 with low miles. I can buy one now, locally, with 3K miles for $7600. I offered the guy $7K for it because its been laid down and has some minor road rash on the cans, the RAD, the clutch lever and left brake res. It's just as well because I don't like the idea of buying a bike with damage history. One little tweak or crack and you can be putting yourself at risk ... IMHO.

He was quite upset and wouldn't budge from $7600 anyway.

I've seen very nice '07 models with very low miles on ebay for around $7000 and I might go that route, but I hate buying remote because its so hard to really scrutinize the bike.

I think another '07 model will pop up within a few hundred miles of me. I just need to bide my time. I'm definitely writing off the older models since I much newer one is only $3-4K more.

I feel like I got a pretty good deal on mine. Got it last July. It's an '06 and had 2K on the odo. Looked perfect. Guy kept it under cover, in the garage. I got if for $7K. He gave me the cover and battery tender too. Also has the YES warranty, every piece of paper that came from the original sale, the paperwork from the first service @ the dealer+ he got it serviced and inspected when I bought it and gave me all that paperwork.

Latest posts

Back