Opinions on the motorcycle market?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he really honestly wants to make the big bucks and doesn't mind traveling. He needs to become an instrumentation technition. A true tech not just a tubing bender. I have a friend right now that is making around $40 an hr and is only 30 years old

+1 on this and any other trade that is highly technical.......

A two year asscociates degree in a technical trade will usually get you more money than most 4 year degrees being issued now a days......

I also agree whole heartedly about the private school comments that were made. Most private training schools main business is acquiring gov't loans for students so THEY can get the money, that's usually thier primary goal far ahead of offering good training,

Good luck to your son which ever way he goes, sounds like he's got a good Dad to guide him..

I am familiar w/financing issues for education. One of my co-workers who is an adjunct is a PhD in education and works for Kaplan. They recently cut-back on their staff and that is the nature of the business, here-today, gone tomorrow, as-far as private technical programs go. The 'admissions counselors' are trained to get customers to sign-up for all kinds of financing, including gov't. aid. When the student enrolls, the $$ drop into the private coffers, and whether or not the student graduates from the program, the school made its $$. The rate of default for private technical school enrollees is far-higher than for public programs.

In FL, the rate of success for students needing remedial coursework to enter college is a predictor of their success in completing the program. Students needing remedial classes before being allowed to enter public community college (2 yr.) and college (4 yr.) programs have a low % of successful completion of courseload leading to graduation. Also, the amount of loans people take-out to attend school can saddle them w/heavy burdens, since regardless of wheter or not they graduate, they still are responsible for the debt. Educational loan debt is not discharged in a bankruptcy! Interestingly, the local paper today had a series of articles on these subjects (part of the Tribune newspaper chain). http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-college-costs-tuition-20120209,0,3252787.story There are a lot of good links in this story for education resources and research.

Since 2007, education costs at the 2 and 4 yr. FL state schools has gone-up close to 50% but are still a bargain when compared to state university costs which are almost 100% higher for a 4 year degree, per year. The costs are still among the lowest in the nation.

Engineering students are among the most-employable undergraduates across all fields. The thing that he must consider is that he may have to relocate to get the most opportunities in employment. Easy for a single person, harder for someone with a family.

The economy is bad now, it might not be in 2 years when your son is ready to go to work. Good training and hard work never go out of style.

+1 on the HVAC and Electrician work. Never enough skilled workers to fill this demand. Keep in mind, it can be very hard work. Electricians are practically on a project from ground breaking to punch list.

I have to remind my kids that there is almost always something wrong in the economy and someone spewing gloom and doom.
Don't fall into this rut, continue working smarter and harder than everyone else, and you will always be working whether for someone or for yourself. This formula has never let me done, and I have made more than my share of mistakes. Good luck, sounds like a great kid with a bright future.

Auto mechanic/truck can teach you basics to get your foot in the door in other similar industries. Motorcycles are getting very specialized though. I got hired by an oil Co. one time and picked it up and was out on the road trouble shooting before I even got certified. An engine with 1 injector, that?s what an oil burner kind of is. People have to have a car and heat. Motorcycles, boats sit during bad times.
Steve-o

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts guys! Spursmech, I told my son about your post and he started packing his bag! He has been a great kid, never in trouble, and always on the honor roll at school....my wife and I have been blessed. Its great to be able to get on a forum like this and get some good opinions. Thanks.

:punk: Hey 06, Here's a web site to give him more info. http://www.ualocal469.org/ Journeymen are making $150K+ at Intel. The work is some of the most technical in the world and Fab 42 will be the largest Fab in the world when completed. Intel is building Fab 42 now and putting up the shell for Fab 52 as it is cheaper to do that now than bring the worlds largest crane back in a couple years to set the shell. They are also clearing the land for Fab 62. These cleanrooms cost about 6 billion dollars to build and we love Intel here in Arizona. They also hire thousands of techs to man them when we're done building them. I'm a 4th generation Steamfitter and have 40 years in here in Arizona. It's a great trade and we always welcome smart hard working people. Training is free and you get paid while you learn on the JOB. Good Luck, Spurs

If he really honestly wants to make the big bucks and doesn't mind traveling. He needs to become an instrumentation technician. A true tech not just a tubing bender. I have a friend right now that is making around $40 an hr and is only 30 years old

I always suggest Instrumentation, if asked about careers in trades or technologies. A good mix of hands-on and technical expertise required. Physical, but not so much as others. Reasonably clean work. And low voltages, for the most part.
At the various power stations I worked at, the EI&C techs (electrical, Instrumentation, and Control) were the highest paid trade/techs, and constantly taking courses to keep up with the various advancements. Each individual eventually had their own "specialty" field, which made them essential employees.
Cheers!

In the 90's I got my bachelor's in Comm with a radio/tv/film emphasis. I learned the ins and outs of TV and radio producing and on air performance. I had a broad diverse education from a public 4 yr university. I was technically proficient ad qualified to work in "the industry". Around the time I graduated something happened to the market. Independent commercial radio was dying. Corporations like Clear Clannel were buying up media outlets left and right and sucking the soul out of the profession I thought I wanted to do a few years before. Furthermore, the tv market where I was living was not lucrative for entry level positions at all. I continued to "use" the degree I earned to work for free in community radio for the next few years while I paid the bills answering phones for a catalog outlet. Eventually I enlisted with Uncle Sam and at least got out of my overeducated, underpaid rut.
Will I one day go back into radio after a career in the USAF? Possible, but who knows. However, I do not regret one bit getting an education in something that isn't "paying off" for me monetarily.

On a side note I transferred my GI Bill to my wife last year so she could get her degree. Her major: English with minor in History( will I ever learn from my mistakes? Not likely :) )

Here is a recent article on student debt and bankruptcies:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-student-loan-bankruptcy-20120208,0,1704059.story
The State of FL just made some of the private for-profit schools change their business practices because of complaints from students who enrolled in classes and then didn't finish but are still on the hook for big $$ for the entire program. The TV advertisements for ITT schools now carry a disclaimer at the end of the ad which says, "Credits earned are unlikely to transfer." If you complete one of their programs and want to use the credits towards a bachelor's from a state college or university, for instance, the credits are usually not accepted by the state college or university system. Before enrolling at a technical program from a private for-profit, contact the local branch of your state college/university system for advisement, if you intend to work towards a bachelor's degree. If all you want is a technical degree then the convenience of the program length and sites at which it is available may be the deciding factor for you. Just be aware that since many management-level positions require a bachelor's degree, if you do not exercise prudent planning of your education, you may find yourself having to start-over w/no credit transfer.

DakRatFink: In 1970 I got my FCC radiotelephone operator's class III license w/broadcast endorsement, which allowed me to legally broadcast on the college radio station. I never worked at a paid station after that, I didn't have a degree in communications (not that you need one). It sure was fun, though, and made me a recognized person on campus (MI). To sit for the exam we took a school bus, driven by one of the program managers, also a student, who was from Grosse Point, MI to the Detroit Federal Building. The exam was easy, and while waiting for my fellow students who hadn't done it so-quickly, I visited another federal office which I noticed on the directory in the lobby, the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. They had a lot of full-color handouts and I got a bunch to distribute on-campus. They were very detailed had lots of examples, and I think I still have one of them in my papers, somewhere. The BNDD later became better-known by its new name, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). The first chief administrator was like J.Edgar Hoover, in his assigned role for many years. Playboy once did an interview with him, Harry J Anslinger, in 1970 (he retired in 1962) which shed light on his career focus and his influence on drug enforcement since he was appointed head of the federal Narcotics Bureau in 1930.

The broadcast media of radio is more & more homogenized. I knew the founder of Clear Channel, Jordan Ginsburg, he was a smart man and an astute businessman, now deceased. He also got his hand slapped by the feds for some of his business practices. I did some site plans permitting for him as well as doing a zoning determination about his development rights in SE FL.

I am not a fan of country-wide programming where there is little or no local content. One of the local rock stations just cleared house in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area, firing long-time staffers including a popular d.j. who had been there for 14 yrs.

I have a Sirius-XM and use it all the time in my GMC, I usually have Deep Tracks as the default station. I get tired of hearing the same few rotation lists on the local rock stations.

I have a Sirius-XM and use it all the time in my GMC, I usually have Deep Tracks as the default station. I get tired of hearing the same few rotation lists on the local rock stations.
Oh, and the homogeny and repetitive rotation on the air is worse here in Guam than anywhere I have ever lived or travelled in the States.

Back