Over Racing 4-2-1 system

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emempee

Reaction score
Was lucky enought to find a barely used Over Racing Stainless Steel and Carbon Can system for 8,000 baht ($260) so set about fitting to the old girl, (the mother in law said she would not wear it so had to fit it to the bike instead). After spending 2 hours in the garage with temp in the 40c range I was pleased with the result, the fitting was a pleasure as the fit is so good with no real snags to trip you up. Centre stand retained and no part of the rear pipes touching anywhere. The only down side for me was the standard header nuts don't pull down so a quick trip to the local moped repair shop and sourced 8 nuts with captive serated washers, 2 new SS springs (as 2 were missing) and 2 shouldered studs as 2 of the originals came out with seized nuts (total cost 120 baht - $4), will find better SS header nuts later. I was happy with the sound when she fired up as there was a better rumble than the stock system and nothing to upset the neighbours when poodling through our villiage but once on the highway the sound level increased with a nice deep bark under hards acceleration and a satifying growl when cruising. V boost kicked in as normal then at around 110 my new tyres decided to wobble a bit so had to back off. Performance seemed a little sharper allround and low down pull in fith was also more responsive. I did around 40k's and returned home expecting major pipe discolouration as no changes to carburation have been made but was surprised at only a slight golden hue to the rear pipes. Will have to do proper plug check runs and then decide on what changed need to be made. This system is way lighter than stock and certainly feels she breathes better, so I think it's close to what I wanted on sound. Next job will be to shorten the can, it's 50cm long (19 3/4") and obscures the turn signal so I think I will shorten it to 35cm (13 3/4") but that's a bit radical so at first I will loose fit with a 10cm cut (4") and see how it looks. Thought when I do this I could take a video or pictures to post on the forum if enough people are interested.

Every time I ride my Max it makes me smile
I'm at peace and glowing at least for a while
My adventures with her don't take me to far
Around a 100k but way better than in the car
The sounds and smells I experience them all
Especially here when the weather is in the fall

I'm lucky I guess cause I can ride most days
Retirment brings lifestye changes in many ways
The best has been finding youthful times once more
With my V-max stopping me becoming an interminal bore
So as I throw my leg over her and hit that start
I begin to smile again as soon as I depart.

Thank You Lord For Motorcycles especially the V-Max

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0519b.jpg
    IMG_0519b.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 86
Well that certainly was a great deal!

Since you paid so-little for it, you should start w/a smaller 'cut' as you can always take a bit-more, or save the can & get different turn signals. Quieter is better, for me. I ran a UFO 4/1 w/the balogna-cut shorty "muffler" (ha, what muffling does it do? Not-much!) for awhile, so I "know" loud.

Yep...would definitely be interested in the video.

Great looking bike by the way.

Very good deal for the price. Over products are usually very expensive.

Thanks for the kind words guys, the new price from Japan is currentley €1394.00 (vat excluded) thats $1850 + Vat so yes it was a bargain. I was fortunate that here in Thailand a lot of stuff comes over from Japan and the V-max has a good following here. The guy I bought it off got his bike from a Japanese auction and it came with a lot of spare parts. His bike had interesting mods, these included Dymag wheels, Brembo brakes, frame braces, knee shields and a Titanium Over Racing system with twin silencers. He really love his Max

I will do a video of the can shortening with before and after sound clips but it will have to wait for about a week as family business takes presidence

Happy riding all

We have the same exhaust but I replace the huge round muffler for something a bit more sharp looking and a bit louder.

What is your carb setup? You might have some useful tips to share ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Concerning the discoloration it will come with time. Mine got a nice gold color after few years of use. I'll see if I get them polished again or not :)

Just could not wait to mod this can so had a spare hour today and had at it. I hope my amateurish video gives an idea how simple this was. Cost of mod 20baht for welding (65cents) and the same for a pack of 50 rivits - 40baht in total ($1.30) Didn't bore with riviting back together as thought all should be able to work that out. The outer retaining ring makes redrilling to original fixing holes a breeze. Took around 45 minutes in total with no special tools required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFK2U9kW-o&feature=youtu.be

Now if only I could afford some braided hoses.

Last edited:
You got an aussie accent mr thailand :D

When I did mine two bross carbon circumcision i took em to work and did it
with big metal band saw. Worked great and took 30s LOL
After that I've started noticing some ceiling parget laying on the floor in my garage.
Most defo a must to do and also its looks much better.

Definately agree the look is much better as well as the sound, my garage has a tin roof so plenty of ressonance but no parget!!!!!. I Like the extra decibels as you can't rely on people seeing you on the roads over here, so many drivers don't recognise a big bike and they expect all 125's to get out the way.

As for the accent I'm afraid it regional English (geordie) but Iv'e travelled around a lot so is quite a mix now.

We have the same exhaust but I replace the huge round muffler for something a bit more sharp looking and a bit louder.

What is your carb setup? You might have some useful tips to share ;)

As far as carburation is concerned the current set up is stock with no changes made to air filter set-up. Have made 2 trips out of 100k and the pipes show a golden hue on the rears but fronts no problem. Performance is a little better all round and no hesitation, crackling or popping, plug colours look good and no obvious signs of any problems with the mixture settings. She runs with COP's so spark has always been good and clean. Iv'e been told the emissions and decibel levels in Japan are quite strict and Over Racing Systems meet their requirements, still will at some point do plug test runs in the near future.

How many turns did you put on your mixture screws? I found few hesitations when running at 2.5 turns. At 3 turns it's much smoother but a bit rich I think.
I still have to check my wet float levels as I only did it dry.

Back