Over revving assistance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ost85vmax

Reaction score
So while out riding a couple bikes decided the long back roads where a good time for some hooliganism as some of you describe it. Well while is was getting on it I probably pushed the revs to 10k. Not something I like to ever do. The bike has a 2000 motor with 15000 on it. I have no signs of any issues and then proceeded about 30 miles on the interstate home with again no issues.

My question is after revving these bikes past redline are there things to look for or things that can be checked to know if there was any damage done? My bike runs just fine but if there where some things to look at/ listen for it would be nice to know.

Do you think I did any damage? This is not a normal occurrence and yes this summer a TCI unit is going in for a rev limiter.

Thanks,
Eric

We've all done it at one time or another. I have seen more than 10,000 on occasion. Older bikes had an O-Ring in the oil piping that could cause troubles but I believe a 2000 has been upgraded. Ignitions with Rev Limiters are a great thing, especially without a shift light...

Usually, when you REALLY over rev you will see so much smoke out the back you'll think you've blown the engine. That's because you build so much crankcase pressure that a lot of oil ends up in the air box. I've seen that several times with a Vmax.

These engines are quite strong though, so the occasional over rev should not be a problem. Riding a wheelie for an extended length of time is much worse IMO.

Don't make a habit of it, but a brief over-rev isn't anything to worry about. I saw it pass 10K briefly now and then and never had any issues. It was always on accident, usually the rear tire finding a little oil or sand or getting too ham fisted with a cold tire. Yamaha actually reduced the tach's redline to 9000 on the later models, presumably to try and cut warranty work on blown motors.

An ignition with a limiter feature is nice, but if you don't want the expense and hassle of tossing the stock ECU, a shift light is a very easy add-on and not very expensive. The Raptor shift light is popular, but virtually any will work so long as they can be set down to a 2 cylinder engine, because the Vmax is a waste-fire motor.

I used an AutoMeter "DPSS", which is a fattish shift light that also gives the RPM display in the middle. It was super easy to wire in, tapped directly into the three wires going to the stock tack, power/ground/signal. I had the light set to come on at 9300 to account for reaction time, but it's a lot easier to anticipate when you can see the RPM's rising. There's versions of it too that have multi-stage lights, but this basic version was just an on/off.

Note it won't fit with the stock flyscreen though. Think it was like $120 or so on ebay.

Latest posts

Back