Petrol tank rust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar_sande

Reaction score
I've just discovered that I have rust inside my petrol tank. I'm not sure what to do. I get the impression that the fuel filter can handle it. But I'm wondering, is there a possibility of getting rid of the rust?

Th e fuel filter will handle only the larger particals of rust and let the finer ones through. This is not good for our carbs with it's many tiny jet passages that like to get plugged with the tiniest particles.
But there is hope to clean out your tank and then seal it with a quality tank sealant. If you search there are several topics to research the process on. I'm sure those that have been through the process will post their findings as well a can give you specific product recommendations.

I am now selling POR15 stuff since we used the first batch last month on a tank. Worked very well. We still haven't seen how long the repair holds up yet but it looks very promising. I will say NOT to use Creem though.

Sean

I take it POR15 is a protective coating against rust? What about something that will remove rust?

It comes with a few different components to clear the rust up. I usually tank the tank to the radiator shop and have it cleaned out there even before using the stripper the kit comes with.

Sean

The radiator shop by me cleans preps & seals gas tanks for 95 bucks tax included. I think last time I bought all the stuff was about 60 bucks. As busy as I get sometimes its just as easy to let them do it.

Last edited:
I am now selling POR15 stuff since we used the first batch last month on a tank. Worked very well. We still haven't seen how long the repair holds up yet but it looks very promising. I will say NOT to use Creem though.

Sean

+1 on POR15 having it ALL over the Creem. Seen & heard plenty about the Creem peeling off later.

The POR15 kit comes with an acid to neutralize the rust. When you fill the tank with it (and it seems like he tank is holding it's fluid alright) put the tank in a container that can handle the volume or you might come out to the garage the next morning and find it all over the floor. Don't ask me how I know this.......

I have heard a few mentions of POR15 breaking down after prolonged exposure to fuel with ethanol. Not sure how true that is or not though....

Heard good things about the Caswell sealer

I've used Kreem (which comes with acid also to seal in the rust after cleaning) in the past and it worked well. However, I didn't keep the bike long enough to find out if it would eventually peel off. POR15 sounds better.

Either way, you must remove your tank, clean it or have it cleaned, seal the rust with acid and then coat the inside to prevent rust coming back, or replace your tank.

If you don't, you will get rust particles in your carbs, no matter what filter you use - I've been there trust me! Then it runs like shite, you get through fuel like crazy (cos the needle valves can't seal anymore) and you'll see fuel dripping from your exhaust. Bad.

I've found this...rust remover...maybe it will...maybe it wont...but worth a try!

Instructions are as follows:

Remove loose rust with a wire brush or coarse sandpaper.

Shake container well and pour required amount into a plastic container. Dilute 1 part Rust Remover Dip with 9 parts water and mix thoroughly. Place rusty item into container and leave overnight.

Rinse thoroughly under running water and remove remaining rust with a wire brush. Allow time to dry.

If rust is not completely removed repeat process for a further 24 hours. To avoid any further rusting coat surface with Hammerite paint.

Do not return any surplus Hammerite Rust Remover Dip back into the original container after use...DONE!

picture.php

I'm about to perform electrolysis on the petrol tank. However before I do I need to know...are there any non-steel parts inside the tank (copper, brass, etc)?? As they will get chewed up in the process (possibly).

Back