Picked up a '97 max, won't stay running.. Please help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would I check the pickup coil?

I'm thinking about ordering an r1 r/r on ebay and seeing if that fixes the issue.. I found one on ebay that said it's for an 09-11.. Would that be alright?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

How would I check the pickup coil?

I'm thinking about ordering an r1 r/r on ebay and seeing if that fixes the issue.. I found one on ebay that said it's for an 09-11.. Would that be alright?

Sean Morley (one2dmax on here) will fix you up as good as any ebay seller would. PM or email him asap.

Hey everyone! I know you guys may be getting tired of seeing my thread popping back up to the top, but I think I am finally close to solving my issue.. I just have a few more questions to ask.

Okay, so I bought a new R/R that's built for an 09-11 R1. I ended up having to relocate the new R/R under the left scoop since it did not fit behind the passenger peg. Before I soldered anything, I check the R/R with the bike running for a couple seconds then I shut the bike off since one of the stator wires unhooked from the other wire leading to the R/R.

Then, the next day I mounted the R/R in the new spot and ran the wires and tried it out again.. It went back to doing what it's normally been doing.. Not charging

I've been puzzled on where to start. But then, I remembered that I put in a 30A inline fuse, so I thought I'd check to see if that's still alright.

The fuse was blown!

So, what does this mean? Did I solder something wrong? Did the fuse blow when the stator wire unravled from the first time running the new R/R? Is there something else wrong?

Welp.. another freaking issue... :bang head:

I finally got the R/R all figured out and the bike is now charging.. I've done multiple readings to make sure it's continually charging and I've been turning bike on and off with it starting up each time..

Of course, the time when I'm going to go take the bike out to make sure everything's good, I turned the key on and the bike fired without me even hitting the starter switch.. I could hear the starter continually running even after the bike has turned on. I turned the bike off and then back on to see if it's still doing it and it was..

What now? Is there a connector/box/relay that I can check? If so, where? I don't think the starter button is stuck because whenever I hit it I see all of my lights turn off and then back on when I release the button..

Please help me out guys.. I'm almost done bugging you all

Okay.. so I went out and began checking the starter relay.. I first started with the plastic connector and cleaned all the connections to make sure they were okay... It continued starting on its own.

I then decided to remove the two bolts holding the relay and the coils down and decided to try it again.. For some reason, it went back to normal! It would only start if I would hit the switch!

I then tried putting just one bolt in and it went back to starting on its own.

Why is that? I'm using the same bolts that have been on the bike ever since I got it..

I went out and rode the bike to make sure everything was good, and it was. No issues whatsoever! And when I got back home, I checked the battery with the voltmeter and it was reading 14.6v with the bike still running. The bike feels a lot more lively now!

Well evidently there may be an internal short that happens when the relay is bolted-down, so sounds-like you need a relay. Maybe part of the internal circuit board/connections distorts-enough to allow the short to occur. I don't think you want an electrical short potential on your bike, as you could come-out & find it caught fire. One of my friends had a Kawi Concours starting circuit w/a similar issue, coupled w/a leaky fuel petcock, cost him his barn in Scottsville NY. :confused2:He was a child phenom, raced for the Bultaco factory in Europe in the '60's & had a Kawasaki dealership in Rochester NY at one point. His parents were British and Spanish bike dealers in the 1960's, on Ridge Rd. They had a scrambles track behind the dealership on their acreage. A great place to hang-out if you were into bikes. His older brother was a national ice racing champ not long-ago, they're friends of Jay Springsteen. I used to run-into them at Daytona.

Well evidently there may be an internal short that happens when the relay is bolted-down, so sounds-like you need a relay. Maybe part of the internal circuit board/connections distorts-enough to allow the short to occur. I don't think you want an electrical short potential on your bike, as you could come-out & find it caught fire. One of my friends had a Kawi Concours starting circuit w/a similar issue, coupled w/a leaky fuel petcock, cost him his barn in Scottsville NY. :confused2:He was a child phenom, raced for the Bultaco factory in Europe in the '60's & had a Kawasaki dealership in Rochester NY at one point. His parents were British and Spanish bike dealers in the 1960's, on Ridge Rd. They had a scrambles track behind the dealership on their acreage. A great place to hang-out if you were into bikes. His older brother was a national ice racing champ not long-ago, they're friends of Jay Springsteen. I used to run-into them at Daytona.

Man, that's too bad.. Well, I guess I should look into a new relay.. You think it will be alright though if I ride the next few days with the relay unbolted? This weekend the temp is supposed to be in the 60's and I would like to enjoy the bike before I have to store it for the winter

Have you checked the small wire on the selnoid for voltage?just bolting it down shouldnt cause it to crank over.Unless you have a bad short,Checked for a drain on your battery anything getting hot.I would not ride it until it worked corectly,If the starter engaged while you were riding it you could do more damage,Im sure your aggravated.Im not the best in the world either.But will help if i can Pm me if you want,I will truly do my best.Im a car mechanic by trade

Also make sure it's not super simply like a sticking start button. You'd be surprised at how often something so simple is overlooked.

Sean

I am not sure if mention was made of Ninjaneer's refurbishment of both sides' switch gear on the handlebars, tips on inspecting, great pics & explanation. I consulted it recently before I opened mine for the 1st time in a long time. I can't recall if it's in the electrical, the 'how-to' or ? Found 1 of them:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=20783&highlight=switch+cleaning

This morning I tinkered with the relay a little bit more and cleaned all the contacts/connectors once more and bolted it down to the bike to see what would happen.. It appears that everything is back to normal! Hopefully I'm done with issues for a while. I took the bike out around town once I bolted the relay down and everything is working fine..

Thank you guys for all of your help! Really means a lot! Hopefully I'll be able to help out some members on here with their issues as much as you guys helped me with mine.

Had a prob with my headlight a while back. Broke it all down several times and then Sean told me to check the "starter switch", and, wah-la. Sticky switch...:bang head:

Back