pickup coil wiring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweeze

Reaction score
I found one of the two wires leading from the pickup coil where it passes thru the cases broken about a inch of so from the cases. This is outsde the cases. Very hard to get in there and crimp butt connector, but I did, although I don't really trust the thing. When this wire(s) break, the engine quits -- period. Lookd like a special wire, small gauge cabled wire, covered with teflon, wrapped with some sort of hard cloth. Anyone else had any luck with splicing these things, and do you think any high quality wire could be substituted. that assy costs usually over $300 new.

If you have an inch to play with (most of us prefer something longer (oo err, missus) to play with but beggars etc.) then you should have enough the make a good soldered connection. Put come heat shrink tubing over the joint to seal it.

As you say, not the easiest to get at so it may be worthwhile pulling the gear change lever, footrest and middle gear cover to give good access.

Unless you can safely lean the bike over toward the clutch side you will loose oil and will also probably need to put a new MG gasket on. You will also need to anneal the copper washer that goes on one of the lower bolts so that it will seal.

Apart from the insulation you describe I'm not aware that it is anything special but no doubt others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Back