Pilot Jet Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moperformance

Reaction score
I have started rebuilding the carbs on my 85 vmax as the bike was sitting 9 years before I bought it. On the first carb I have disassembled. The pilot jet appears to have been soldered closed (?).
I'm able to look down inside all of the passage ways with a high end (aka expensive) micro scope at work to verify.
My question is would there be any reason for some one to do this???:ummm:
Many thanks!

I have started rebuilding the carbs on my 85 vmax as the bike was sitting 9 years before I bought it. On the first carb I have disassembled. The pilot jet appears to have been soldered closed (?).
I'm able to look down inside all of the passage ways with a high end (aka expensive) micro scope at work to verify.
My question is would there be any reason for some one to do this???:ummm:
Many thanks!

No good reason....that's fer sure!

Are you certain it isn't mud packed in there by bees? It gets really hard...use a needle or pick to probe it. That's to satisfy your curiosity however and probly the jet should be replaced.

varnished , gummed up carbs can look a lot like they were meant to be closed up.

ya agree with the boys, set all the jets in a carb clean solution and if you have a vibra-bath bin even better.......you should be able to clean them up before having to change them out......

I can't see any reason why someone would do that?

They may just be plugged up pretty solid. Try soaking them in some heavy duty cleaner for at least a few hrs. Mine were plugged with what seemed like concrete. I dropped them in some marine clean for the better part of a day. When I came back I could see the solution was dirty looking. Jets were still plugged but came clean with minimal effort after soaking.

I feel that digging at them too hard can mess up the orifices. Patience pays off in this, and most situations.

some .020 lock wire to poke into the holes or a pin works to help free up the sludge

The carb and all metal parts were sonic cleaned about 4 hours in hot alcohol (120 deg f) and came out great! The jet did end up being soldered shut. I used a hot iron and brad and it wicked right out. It's nice and clean now but tinned. So, yes I went ahead and ordered 4 just to be safe as they are cheap enough. I've rebuilt carburetors on cars for more years then I care to admit to, but this had me stumped.
Thanks again for your help! This is a wonderful site with a amazing resources.
Bill

ya sure is a weird one that.....maybe added to why the bike sat for 9 years eh......couldnt get it running right....

Could this have been a bizzare accident?
Someone repairing some wiring, with the airbox off, and the molten solder fell in? :rofl_200:

The only reason I can think of to do something like that is if the threads were stripped and the jet wouldn't stay in place. :confused2:

Back