Plastic or Fiberglass Fabrication

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Looking for comments from experienced members about this type of fabrication. Don't know a thing about it myself but want to learn. Let's say a plastic seat base needed some fabrication, maybe an extension or something. What would you fabricate with and how would you attach to the existing piece?

Thinking way out of the box right now.

"Looking for comments from experienced members about this type of fabrication. Don't know a thing about it myself but want to learn. Let's say a plastic seat base needed some fabrication, maybe an extension or something. What would you fabricate with and how would you attach to the existing piece?
Thinking way out of the box right now."

I've fiddled with both seat pans, but only removed plastic (to make room for an auxiliary gas tank), never added anything.
But if was ever inclined to add on, I would use light-gauge aluminum sheet metal, and pop rivets or sheet-metal screws to secure it to the plastic. Strength, not looks, are what I would be concerned about. No one would be seeing the pans.
May I ask what you've got in mind?:ummm: Miles LOVES "out of the box" thinking! Cheers

That is a very good idea about the aluminum sheet metal and rivets, thanks.

Just gathering info right now. But if this comes to anything, I will show all you'all what I have done.

Keep the ideas coming.

So Bob, what ever happened, did you find a Max. You mean you didn't go buy Charlie's 85s! LOL. Never did see my heads by the way.

Have seen that method on YouTube. That is expandable insulation foam from a can? After dry you carve a cast?

Have seen that method on YouTube. That is expandable insulation foam from a can? After dry you carve a cast?

Yes its the same material used on surf boards. But instead of you buying them in sheets you get a can and spray it wherever you want let it dry and then carve it to shape with a saw band or a scalpel/sharp knife. Try to avoid leaving big bubbles of air. I used the plaster for finer leveling after the polyurethane been carved and sanded (big grit sand paper). You can also use a grinder to speed things up, maybe with a wire wheel or an abrasion flexible disc.

I saw your work and had this observation: spraying the foam in and on the location results in a randomness in the foam which can lead to air bubbles and vacancies in it.

I had this idea: Completely cover the area to be foamed with plastic sheeting and duck tape to seal. Leave extra material over the area to allow for some controlled expansion. Cut little slits in the plastic to allow air to escape while foaming. Insert the applicator in the enclosed area and begin to fill. Fill until foam expands out the slits all around then stop. Maybe this will result in some kind of pressurized molding in the cavity you are filling and have more of a solid mold.

I saw the foam process to mold a seat base on youtube and he did it the way you did, a randomness. Don't know if my idea has any merit or not but it would put pressure into the mix and pressure would help to fill holes, etc.

Remember one thing... The thicker the layer the more time it takes to dry up. the foam expands a lot and it goes wherever it can. If it starts expanding and falling on your shocks or tire let it drop and when it dries up you just brake it off easily, never try to catch it while its fresh and please do use some kind of gloves like latex ones. if you catch that on your hands you will be very very sorry, i did that and i had to bite off that shit for like 2 weeks, no thinner was able to help me on that...

Back