pointless drivel and bashing from 12-30-10

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve07vmax

Reaction score
I haven't posted much on here since joining last summer. I have to say one of the most controversial subjects on here at the moment in my opinion is this HACKED ECU thing from guruedgear.com. Everybody seems to be very excited about it, quite frankly I don't see what the fuss is about. A newb in the vmax world figured out a way to hack into a factory ECU and wants to sell it. How is this so great? In my opinion the code Yamaha loaded on the ECU is like any other software out there. It is licensed by Yamaha much like Microsoft licenses Windows, Word, Excel etc. Companies and individuals alike pay for these types of software licenses to be able to use them. Most of them have license agreements that restrict redistribution or selling the original code or altered code. There is even and auditing organization, the BSA(Business Software Alliance) that will hall CIO's and IT professionals off to jail for violating licensing compliance regulations. So how is this any different? Guruedgear has altered Yamaha software code and is reselling it. This is the equivalent of charging your friend $200 to use your license key and cd for Microsoft Office, this violates the license agreement. It would also be like editing a song by inserting your own instrumental or vocal and then calling it better than the original and not buying the rights to the song from the record label. If I were Yamaha I would be livid with this newb guruedgear.

From the safety portion of it, I hope a signed disclaimer helps guruedgear sleep better knowing full well that his HACKED ECU could cause someone to potentially loose control and end up in a fatal accident, even if it was at a closed course race event. I wouldn't want that weight hanging over my head. I think even with a disclaimer guruedgear would be found negligent because the risks were known but yet the product was still sold. I think he is setting himself up for litigation with something like this, it just doesn't seem like a good move. It only make sense if all you care about is money.

I think guruedgear is just trying to make a name for himself like anyone else out there, but there are better ways to go about it. I'm not sure who guruedgear is nor do I care. This is after all a community where users are free to discuss what they want to talk about. I just couldn't bite my tongue on this one, it just got under my skin for some reason. Maybe it's because I was badly injured in a motorcycle accident and I take riding safety seriously. I certainly wouldn't let a newb sell me hack that was developed on a dyno and be comfortable tossing my leg over the seat in any circumstance. From the looks of it, he didn't even take it down the track, instead has a retired pro drag racer do it. I wonder if he had to sign a disclaimer or release?

Re: Gurued Gear - Hacked ECU?

I'm sorry that you have me confused with whomever Jon is, it's apparent you all don't seem to get along. This is my honest opinion, I guess it struck a nerve or something. And no I've never done anything illegal? Nor do I care to associate with those that do. I pay for my music, I buy my software. I tend to like the comforts of home and don't want put behind bars.

I'm not attempting to rip anything open, just expressing my opinion. I think it's a controversial subject and wanted to discuss it. It's my opinion that it's controversial. But it looks like you've already shut the door on any discussion when you grouped me in the "wusses" category. I don't think we'll be meeting up for any rides, your about 900 miles away, not that I'd want to ride with you anyway. The first impression just didn't fit the bill...sorry.

Breathe Steve......everything is fine....read some more on the subject, do some research and think a bit longer on what you're feeling. This subject isn't software license code but firmware data settings. He's built his own settings based upon his own invested hours (over a year) of testing. Think of his service as having your own personal electronics mechanic configuring your GEN II's electronics for optimium performance for a stock motor and exhaust. He's working on the up and up. The appearance of majic is only our own lack of electronics skill (and personal dyno access) combined with experince on the GEN II . Gurued Gear will give you a fair shake with no misleading promises, its all proven on the track after extensive dyno testing. Best of wishes friend :)

Thanks for that, but I guess I just disagree. I just wouldn't feel comfortable riding the bike. I guess that a red flag goes up when the vendor says they assume no liability for damage to your bike or your self. That statement just doesn't scream buy me. I like performance as much as the next guy, but I just don't agree with this modification. Would you get in a air plane if you knew the flight controller was hacked to alter take off speeds and how the landing gear worked? There's a lot of risk in riding a motorcycle anyway, people don't need help getting hurt on the streets.

you must be the only one who DIDNT buy a max for the power!
NEVER over the speed limit on the max? NEVER????
Might be true but I sure do find it hard to believe!

Gentlemen, speeding is a moving violation not a federal crime. Anyway I used to be part of the super fast fun club. I had, key word had a Yamaha FZ-1 that I used to ride like a complete a-hole. Knee dragging every chance I got, until one day I went high side and hit a telephone pole. So while you may think it's cool to be the fastest on the street, I tend to look at from a different view point. That was over two years ago. My torn rotator cuff in my shoulder and several ligaments in my knee are constant reminders to slow the F down, been there done that and don't care to do it again. Just because your bike can run an awesome 1/4 mile doesn't mean you should ride on the street like that. I guess my opinion was too much for this forum. I won't bother posting anything else, you guys are very touchy and defensive. Sean is right, this is not my cup of tea. This has to be the worst forum experience ever.

yea....I wanna know too!
:ummm:

I have no motive. I saw the subject and wanted to post my view on it. Like I said in one of these, you guys are touchy and defensive, why? I'm not trying to bash the product, just putting in my two cents. Sorry if my opinion didn't match yours. That's usually how discussions go, differing opinions, debated ideas. But instead I got accused of being someone else. What ever, I'm over this. You guys obviously have your minds made up and have your opinions as well. I said it in another post, moderators, delete it, tag it or what ever. Heck delete my account, I hadn't used it before and now that I've made an attempt to, I don't think I want to be on your forum. You all seem very strange to me.

So, I taking that you probably don't want to join the VMOA either. Too bad if not.:confused2:

REF. "Hello Steve, welcome to VMF the best damn forum on the Vmax! I would like to invite you to join our Vmaxowners group, the VMOA. There are lots of rides put on by the VMOA in the great lakes area so I'm sure you could find some fellow Vmaxers near your location.
thumbup1.gif

If your from Minerva,OH the person they are talking about is about 60 miles north of you and has a very poor customer service record as reported by quite a few Vmax owners and has a record of trying to discredit vendors that he has worked with."

Not really, I don't need to associate myself with any groups. I'm fine cruising around with my friends. I appreciate the offer though. At least you didn't try to accuse me of being someone else.

I have no motive. I saw the subject and wanted to post my view on it. Like I said in one of these, you guys are touchy and defensive, why? I'm not trying to bash the product, just putting in my two cents. Sorry if my opinion didn't match yours. That's usually how discussions go, differing opinions, debated ideas. But instead I got accused of being someone else. What ever, I'm over this. You guys obviously have your minds made up and have your opinions as well. I said it in another post, moderators, delete it, tag it or what ever. Heck delete my account, I hadn't used it before and now that I've made an attempt to, I don't think I want to be on your forum. You all seem very strange to me.

Steve, cut the bullshit man. Between this thread and especially the other one, you started with very strong statements, attacking the product, the person that made it, then went on to holier than thou attitude (don't break laws, etc....), then went on to preaching about racing, speed kills, etc...., than to you guys are bullies, strange bunch, etc.... then to cancel my account, I'm too busy for these frivolities anyways, etc.....

Really buddy, your motive was to personally/professionally discredit Tim for some reason, so now the question I ask you is why?

Mike

Last edited:

Not really, I don't need to associate myself with any groups. I'm fine cruising around with my friends. I appreciate the offer though. At least you didn't try to accuse me of being someone else.
Ok then, just want you to be aware of the person we are talking about is located just north of you. His name is Jon and his company has a history with some Vmaxers for having horrendous customer service and bad mouthing vendors that have worked with him. Just so you know to beware since your are new to Vmaxs.

I have no motive. I saw the subject and wanted to post my view on it. Like I said in one of these, you guys are touchy and defensive, why? I'm not trying to bash the product, just putting in my two cents. Sorry if my opinion didn't match yours. That's usually how discussions go, differing opinions, debated ideas. But instead I got accused of being someone else. What ever, I'm over this. You guys obviously have your minds made up and have your opinions as well. I said it in another post, moderators, delete it, tag it or what ever. Heck delete my account, I hadn't used it before and now that I've made an attempt to, I don't think I want to be on your forum. You all seem very strange to me. :attention:

....and yet you keep posting.....I keep praying to the Vmax Messiah that you'll stop but he isnt listening I guess.

Steve, cut the bullshit man. Between this thread and especially the other one, you started with very strong statements, attacking the product, the person that made it, then went on to holier than now attitude (don't break laws, etc....), then went on to preaching about racing, speed kills, etc...., than to you guys are bullies, strange bunch, etc.... then to cancel my account, I'm too busy for these frivolities anyways, etc.....

Really buddy, your motive was to personally/professionally discredit Tim for some reason, so now the question I ask you is why?

Mike

Think what you want, I don't know Tim in any way. I've never spoke to him or met him. I have no reason to discredit him. I just think the ecu thing is a very bad idea, I'd say the same about it if you were making it. I have no ill feelings towards Tim. I do think that someone will wind up injured or perhaps dead trying to show off. As far as the licensing thing, I still feel the same way. I think it's wrong, again just my opinion. I said you were a strange bunch because you are. You obviously think someone is out to get you or something. You keep insisting that I know what the hell you're talking about. I said delete my account, because Dreamster66 made mention of trashing it. So I agreed, said sure what ever, it was just a posted opinion. But I guess if you guys feel that strongly about it or that it may in some way discredit Tim personally or professionally delete it.

Think what you want, I don't know Tim in any way. I've never spoke to him or met him. I have no reason to discredit him. I just think the ecu thing is a very bad idea, I'd say the same about it if you were making it. I have no ill feelings towards Tim. I do think that someone will wind up injured or perhaps dead trying to show off. As far as the licensing thing, I still feel the same way. I think it's wrong, again just my opinion. I said you were a strange bunch because you are. You obviously think someone is out to get you or something. You keep insisting that I know what the hell you're talking about. I said delete my account, because Dreamster66 made mention of trashing it. So I agreed, said sure what ever, it was just a posted opinion. But I guess if you guys feel that strongly about it or that it may in some way discredit Tim personally or professionally delete it.

Again Steve, it's not that you question the validity of the product or not that I have a problem with, it's the way you went about stating your opinions/thoughts that we seem to have a problem with. Now that we hopefully agree on this, I hope that you decide to stick around if your intention is to add value to this forum, if not, take care and keep the shiny side up.

Mike

Again Steve, it's not that you question the validity of the product or not that I have a problem with, it's the way you went about stating your opinions/thoughts that we seem to have a problem with. Now that we hopefully agree on this, I hope that you decide to stick around if your intention is to add value to this forum, if not, take care and keep the shiny side up.

Mike

thats what I was trying to say Mike (well....in my head I was saying it....but I typed something different) but he knew what I meant

steve07vmax: Anyone here would be happy to install a seatbelt on your VMax if that would make you feel safer.. Full body restraint if you'd like.:rofl_200:

So on a website with literally thousands upon thousands of posts and threads dedicated to hot rodding the VMax, a noob shows up on this thread and trashes the ECU reflash due to its potential danger thanks to increased performance?

Seems like an unusual coincidence. But, maybe it's just me. :ummm:

He claimed no knowledge of Jon even though he is lives 60 miles from him. Definitely did not think/ disguise his plan of attack very well which made him look silly and he quickly evolved into child like name calling when he couldn't defend his position. His royalness must have been getting a jag on at one of his cronies and he thought using his buddies profile would be some fun. It is just further evidence of the untenable position his selfish and immature business practices puts him in all to feed his ego.:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

He claimed no knowledge of Jon even though he is lives 60 miles from him. Definitely did not think/ disguise his plan of attack very well which made him look silly and he quickly evolved into child like name calling when he couldn't defend his position. His royalness must have been getting a jag on at one of his cronies and he thought using his buddies profile would be some fun. It is just further evidence of the untenable position his selfish and immature business practices puts him in all to feed his ego.:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Nice work Brian!! :thumbs up:

its no different that someone tuning in your old carbed bike.

he spent the hours learning what numbers changed what to tune the bike.

really the take off speed increase is him getting rid of the bad bog the gen 2 has.

on the gen 2 if you try to go fast from a dead stop after you get rolling it floods and then recovers... its so bad you almost lose all of your thrust.

all he did was edit how soon the butterflies open in the intake to correct it. something that should have worked from the factory!!!

It would seem that steve07vmax has more in common with the world famous profiteer than he let on and that quite a few of us here uncovered that fact instantly after his first post yesterday.
It seems that the self proclaimed world famous seller of modded Vmax parts is feeling a bit butt hurt over his bad handling of dealings with a reputable vendor that are being brought into the light of day. Check out this link for example of his childish rant: http://planetvmax.com/gen2-vmax-owners-critical-warranty-alert
This follows closely along the rant that steve07vmax (most likely duped into using his profile he created) posted yesterday. No names were mentioned as to who the vendor is , most likely to protect himself against a slander lawsuit that he knew he would lose.

Latest posts

Back