Pop through exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mabchewy

Reaction score
2000 Max with Super Trap slip-ons, 16,000mi.

Was riding today and noticed when you are cruising at any speed I was getting a pop through the exhaust on the left side. No stumble or miss that I could feel. Don't know how to explain really, you had the steady rumble and every so often you would hear a pop that was out of rythm. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Matthew:ummm:

Re: Pop hrough exhaust

Got a carb monster,

just cant get it out,

got ya down and blue,

ready to shout and pout.......

WHO YA GONNA CALL

MARK MILNINE!

lolmark.jpg

Ok then... If that wasn't a dorkie post...:whistlin: :shittystick: :rofl_200:

#1 I would add some Seafoam to the fuel and see if that clears it up... The stuff IS amazing and worked for me last year when I had the same problem...:clapping:

#2 You may be aspriring air into the pipe at the junction from the S/T to the stock head pipes which will burn the unspent fuel and cause popping but usually on decel only. Are the pipes sealed with a high temp RTV?

Good luck!

#2 You may be aspriring air into the pipe at the junction from the S/T to the stock head pipes which will burn the unspent fuel and cause popping but usually on decel only. Are the pipes sealed with a high temp RTV?

Good luck!

U know what i get gurgly popping every decel and i thought it was just from being rich due to my slipon cobra's. Bet i need to seal mine

2000 Max with Super Trap slip-ons, 16,000mi.

Was riding today and noticed when you are cruising at any speed I was getting a pop through the exhaust on the left side. No stumble or miss that I could feel. Don't know how to explain really, you had the steady rumble and every so often you would hear a pop that was out of rythm. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Matthew:ummm:

Mathew, my Dad's just started the same thing except on the right side. Of course, it starts doing it the day after I tune it up for him lol.

Here are some things to check.

Drain the float bowls to the right-rear and left-front carbs. These cylinders feed the left exhaust. Look for any water, rust, dirt in there. Next, see if one of your choke plungers is stuck slightly open. Pull the plugs and see what they look like. Are they fuel or oil fouled?

How's the fuel filter? If dirty some crap might have squeaked by to clog the idle circuit to one of the carb(s).

Check for exhaust leaks, use hand to feel for slight breeze. Next, take "H" covers off sides and look for a hairline crack in the manifolds. They're made out of very soft metal. Mine had a crack where the "H" mounting hole piece meets the manifold. Air was getting in there and causing a slight pop. It ran great but was annoying.

Check all your rubber boots. Remove carbs and take each boot out of the clamps. Check carefully for hardness and cracks. Replace all 8 as a set. Check your air box velocity stacks in the same way.

Unscrew the mixture screws out of both carbs and them blow compress air in PAJ1...the screws will fly out so be prepared to catch them. Check the condition of the rubber o-ring on each screw. If it's hard, air might be getting by from the outside.

It's possible that one of your coasting enrichener plungers is stuck open causing a lean pop. Only way to get to all four enrichener covers to remove is to remove the carbs from the brackets. I would save to checking this last.

If all else fails, take out your mixtures screws, slides, purge jet o-rings. Squirt some carb cleaner in Paj1, PAJ2, and the 3 purge jet holes. Check the attachments I included. The 1st pic on the left carb shows the 3 holes. Some small wire would really help in cleaning these small jets.

Let us know how your checks come out.

Mark

Attachments

• carbs_01 (640 x 480).JPG
    carbs_01 (640 x 480).JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 63
  • carbs_02 (640 x 480).JPG
    carbs_02 (640 x 480).JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 62

Remember rule number 1

Always do one thing and then test. If you do more than one then you never really know what fixed it...

I always like to know what fixed things...

Synced carbs last night and found one carb poped partially out of intake boot. Carbs were out pretty bad too. Took for a short test ride and didn't hear the "pop", will take it for an extended ride this afternoon.

OUt of is what I meant. Will have to be more clear next time. Thanks for all the responses offering advice.

Latest posts

Back