popping and backfiring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odieoh24

Reaction score
so i took the bike out yesterday and had some issues at the initial startup. bike started fine and seemed to be running alright for about 5-7 minutes while i geared up to leave. this is pretty much the normal procedure as i make it a point not to just start the bike and immediately drive off. got on and put it in gear, as i started to throttle up i felt hesitation and it started to backfire, crack and pop. i ran about 3 miles with half choke and it cleared up. no other problems yesterday, regardless of how long the bike sat between runs. today, same thing. bike starts first push on starter without any throttle. continues to run and sounds fine during warmup. as soon as i give it gas it pops and backfires. clears up after about 5-10 miles and then runs flawless. tried to get a set of iridium plugs, which is what's in there now, had to order them. running stage 7 carbs, crankcase breather filter, and 87 ethanol free gas. where should i start to look to cure the problem? bike is scheduled in to the shop on tues so i'd like to have an idea of what to tell the to look for.

later odieoh24

later odieoh24

First, see what plugs look like. Check boots/wires for cracks and test them with an Ohmmeter. Peashooter to the pilot circuit and a bit of Seafoam in the tank might help too. Check boots and make sure clamps are tight. Check fuel filter.

First, see what plugs look like. Check boots/wires for cracks and test them with an Ohmmeter. Peashooter to the pilot circuit and a bit of Seafoam in the tank might help too. Check boots and make sure clamps are tight. Check fuel filter.

hey mark, thanks for the help. i couldnt get the iridiums, so i went with a dpr7ea9. which is one colder than stock. bike seemed to run way smoother than when it was running right prior. tomorrow will be the true test after its sat overnight. thanks again

later odieoh24

9 0UNCE'S OF SEA FOAM :worthy: ! AND WHIP ON IT ! FIXED MINE IN UNDER 9 MILES !...:punk: STILL RUNS GREAT & JUST GOT 45 MILES A GALLON ON THE "09" BROWNIE RUN !...:punk:

Back