Pops From Exhaust When Cold Start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I've gone through enough troubles to last me for a long time but, I guess I may as well try to pull one more out of my hat.

Cold start, with the choke on and / or with the choke off, anytime the rpm is raised over 1000. The exhaust pops. It runs like crap if I try to ride it before it's been running 5 minutes or so.

After warm up, when the temperature needle is above 1/4 of it's travel, everything is as smooth as glass when I raise it off idle. Even if I hold it steady at 2000 or 3000 rpm in neutral. The bike then runs perfect.

Any Thoughts?

Is this pretty normal? I know these bikes are very cold blooded.

i wouldn't be too concerned about it, i'm surprised with full choke it won't help alleviate the problem though. mine stumbles between 3-4k until its warmed up unless there is at least 1/3 or more choke.

i wouldn't be too concerned about it, i'm surprised with full choke it won't help alleviate the problem though. mine stumbles between 3-4k until its warmed up unless there is at least 1/3 or more choke.

+1....a 5 minute warm-up doesn't sound unreasonable.

I've gone through enough troubles to last me for a long time but, I guess I may as well try to pull one more out of my hat.

Cold start, with the choke on and / or with the choke off, anytime the rpm is raised over 1000. The exhaust pops. It runs like crap if I try to ride it before it's been running 5 minutes or so.

After warm up, when the temperature needle is above 1/4 of it's travel, everything is as smooth as glass when I raise it off idle. Even if I hold it steady at 2000 or 3000 rpm in neutral. The bike then runs perfect.

Any Thoughts?

Is this pretty normal? I know these bikes are very cold blooded.

Tell me all the mods done to the bike, saves me researching ya know, and I will tell you what to do:biglaugh: Trust me I am really here to help.

Mod Monkey
Est. 1985

It's fine. It should pop some for a few minutes but should be gone by the time the temperature needles reaches the first mark. If you don't need choke to start a cold bike the idle mixture is too rich.

It's fine. It should pop some for a few minutes but should be gone by the time the temperature needles reaches the first mark. If you don't need choke to start a cold bike the idle mixture is too rich.

what marks? i don't have any on my thermostat gauge?

Check the pic. There's one just above the needle.

Attachments

• img 037 (Large).jpg
    img 037 (Large).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 37
I've got a K&N Filter but retained the Y and I've done the stock exhaust mod. It popped when cold prior to doing the exhaust mod. The popping's just embarrasing, when people hear that, they think you don't maintain the bike. We checked the carb sync a couple months ago and Kyle said it don't get any better. Other than that the bike's run perfect since the last Tech Day at CaptainKyle's.

I think the popping's just more noticable with the mufflers opened up a little and having holes in the end caps I made too. As I said it's all good after the warm up..

Thanx for all the inputs, makes me feel better.

I do need choke to start it but if I shut the choke off during warm up and bring it off an idle it still pops until warm. Ambient temperature here righ now is mid 90's.

I never need full choke to get it running. It'd be at 4000 rpm in a few seconds if I did flip it all the way on. I usually have about 1/2 choke and even then the rpm increases to about 3000 in a few seconds so I have to move the lever up more, less choke.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Thanx Spurs.... If it aint broke I won't fix it.:clapping:

Back