possible fuel issue?????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V4bandit

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm scratching my head here. Last night while riding home, it got a little playful with a buddy of mine and his HD. I could take him at will at any speed, but if I was steady throttle around 7500 - 9000 rpm it would feel like it was running out of steam???

Could this be a float level issue?? I really hate pulling the carbs, but if I need to .....

Could it be something as simple as a dirty air filter?

I haven't even really looked at the bike yet. I've got kids running around my feet most the time. lol But a air filter is a possibility, I have a k/n and haven't looked at it for 8000 kms of riding.

I hope to get a few idea's from the guru's on the site :biglaugh: and do some troubleshooting this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had a little time today to check the bike out. The fuel filter was new after after the rebuild 8000km ago, but I did get some dirty fuel issues a few months ago. The vent lines have road grit in them a little bit. I will clean them , and do a shot gun treatment.

Is it possible for the fuel pump to be weak? Reason I ask is it does seem to click alot at start up. Also the fuel light came on shortly after the hard run. I was thinking maybe if the pump is weak, it would have to work harder when the tank if empty to draw the fuel out. Just thinking aloud, lol

Anyway, I'm not sure when I will get around to testing the bike at that RPM again, but I'll do the simple shit first like shot gun and filters.

Thanks again guys for your info, I love this site.

I FOUND IT!!! I feel like a dumb ass though :damn angry: I replaced the fuel filter, checked my float levels ( wet ), and drained the fuel bowls..........BINGO ! I had a shit ton of water in my gas. Put some sea foam in and a fresh tank of gas and she pulls like a freight train once again. :biglaugh:

Great !!!
You really have to love it when there is a Simple solution to a problem.

It's great that you found the culprit.. Water in your fuel.
Now, what can you do to prevent it? Not much.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-r7t2EEHPs

Maybe we should spend more money on additives that are not 100% accurate in their claims?

Maybe spend more money in trying to locate that illusive gas station that still has 100% ethanol free fuel?

Or maybe spend more money on buying new equipment, that's supposedly ethanol safe?

Something seems a bit skewed here.. It looks like they want us to "Spend More Money".

And it's only getting worse.

Can you imagine going to a pump and it says E15 only fuel, but, on the bottom of the label, it says, this product will damage your engine if used.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceW9Nc1hVHU

Note: they primarily talking about the use (or nonuse) of E15, but, the only difference here is time.
The time it’s going to take for the Ethanol to destroy your vehicle. E15 will just chew away at your plastics, rubber, and draw moisture onto your metal parts to corrode them a little faster than E10.
So we’re still screwed, no matter how you look at it.

I've started carrying gasline antifreeze with my on the bike, so if I sense a flat spot in the rpm range and think its acting up again. I'll put some in the tank.

I don't know what else I can do to prevent water???

I Fucking hate Ethanol. Can I say Fucking in this context? Cause I fucking HATE Ethanol. There's ALWAYS water in the damn gas here in Texas because of Fucking Ethanol. I'm gonna move to Oklahoma where Traumahawk lives. I think I know why he lives there now.

I have a whole case of Seafoam because it works wonders and can even get you in trouble if you use a whole can in the tank and then let the bike sit for a couple of weeks after you ride it enough to be sure the stuff is filling the carbs. If there was any crap in your carbs, that crap will be clogging up your everything carb related.

Back