Possible new VMAX owner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason96r

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Jason and I just recently made an account here and have started looking at a 1997 VMAX.

The dealer is selling the 1997 for $3350 but it has 33.023 miles on the bike. My dad has had a Yamaha, I forget what, that has basically the same engine but without V-boost and etc and told me 33,000 miles isn't high for the engine. He even has heard of people with 100,000+ miles on their engines and I've ran across similar information on this site. I ask because I'm the type of person that would have the VMAX for life as I love them and have for awhile.

The dealer has replaced fork springs and the bike has brand new tires. I also saw that the previous owner has put on Holeshot exhaust but other than that obvious upgrade I'm not sure. I actually talked to the dealerships owner who is a VMAX fanatic and owns 2-3 VMAX's himself. He didn't tell me much just how great VMAX's are.

Below is a link for pictures and even a short youtube clip of it running. Any opinions on the bike and if the price is right would be appreciated. Because I'm going to a funeral it will be a while before I'm able to look at the bike again so I hope that and me never showing any emotion will help to drive the price down a little bit.

http://www.schietsmotorsports.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=107832&Used=1&Model=1997YamahaVmax

Any help would be appreciated.

Forgot to ask what I should look for? Right now this bike is in their showroom but being in Ohio their main focus are ATV's and snowmobiles are huge in this area. Before I would buy the bike I'll definitely make them put a battery in it and check it over while it runs.

Clyde, Ohio! Welcome to the forum jason!. Check all the usual things for a bike with that many miles. Also, look for the second gear popping out under hard accel, and other things that I am sure guys on here will pop in on. Its a buyers market this time of year, so you should be able to get a good bang for your buck$$$.

I've asked about 2nd gear because I found another Max with 2nd gear out. I asked they said it was good. The dealership does offer a complete 3 month warranty which starts during riding season. I may be special because my dad was with me and he's bought many bikes at the dealer.

The dealer must be very confident that the bike is in good shape.
When I bought mine, The general manager gave me 14 miles to
see if I could break it. :rofl_200:That was after the bike was purchased.
It did run great until we got Ethanol.. That's a whole story in it self.
I run Non Ethanol now and Zero problems...

I'd say the 3 month warranty is very good insurance... and although
the price seems a little high.. Having 90 days is worth the extra...

Welcome to the forum! The bike looks good in the pictures and the Holeshot exhaust is a plus, but I would look at more Vmaxes as well to get a good feel in comparison. Check you local Craigslist and EBay to see whats out there...... Good luck!

I've heard of a number of VMax's running well over 100,000 miles so don't be too concerned about the mileage on this 97....

I looked over paint, chrome, and engine to see if it may have been dropped and there was nothing. Looked for leaks too. Some very slight scratches probably from belt buckle. On the exhaust there are some marks from where guy has burnt his boots.

Personally i think if you search you can def find a better deal, craigslist,ebay , i bought my first vmax with 18k on her for 2600 in Findlay Ohio, sometimes its worth the drive. Just dont pay for it until you ride it.

Looks pretty sweet to me Jason. Can't beat the exhaust system and backrest to boot. Not bad mileage for a 14 year old bike, IMO. Get him down as low as you can, and buy it!

Thanks for the help everyone. It will be awhile until I'm back yo try to buy it. That and the ability to show no emotion and act like I'm not even interested should help. It's just natural I go in and don't even try really to talk down they just fo ahead and lower the price.

If the owner has a few of them as his personal bikes, he knows exactly what they are worth, and how low he can go on it.

Back