Progressive springs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester 42

Reaction score
Starting modfications on recently purchased 07 Max next week.

I want to add progressive springs in the very near future.

What brand do you suggest?
Correct size for my bike?
What changes in handling can I reasonably expect?
Any/ all information regarding progressive springs will be appreciated.
Don't get too technical; I am NOT a mechanical wizard by any stretch of the imagination, and probably never will be.

Also: I would like to purchase a small, high quality, handlebar mounted tachometer.
The last place I want to be looking during rapid acceleration is down at the stock tach.
Any brand suggestions?

My modifications goals:
Improved handling.
Visually appealing.
Safer bike.

I dearly do love to open up the Max on occasion, but regarding future modifications............. I am not overly interested in racing, and have zero interest in wheel stands & burn outs.

Jester 42

If you want Progressive springs the correct model # 11-1144.
Benefits will be:
Less dive while braking
Better feel from front fork while cornering
The progressive spring rate soak up the small road bumps, yet are firm enough to absorb the molar-rattling ones, providing excellent ride comfort.

I agree fully with Redbones's asessment of the progressive springs. Aftermarket springs should be the first modification on the Gen 1 Max, to improve handling. Installation is fairly simple and straightforward. You may want to consider an aftermarket fork brace as well.
Cheers, Miles

You may want to consider an aftermarket fork brace as well.
Cheers, Miles

This always made me wonder on Vmax mods. With a factory brace already in place, how much better could an aftermarket brace be? The tubes are already stabilized with the factory piece ??

I know with my '92 forks I noticed a very slight gain in steering precision with the aftermarket fork brace. I already had upgraded the fork springs (Progressive 2" lowered/ 15 wt oil) so when I added the aftermarket brace it was noticeable.

If you ever have taken the OEM fork brace off, you will realize its on there to only hold the front fender on. it is light, thin, and not too sturdy.
Aftermarket braces are 1 inch thicker...braces the forks and holds the fender on.
I never had the front end wobble, but it also never did feel right, so I changed all my stuff before taking the bike up past 110 but after progressive springs and a UFO brace, handling did improve and so did the braking.....and I've peged the speedo on a good day......4mph off at 60...GPS:punk:sorry...at 150/155 on a naked MAX, I can't read the GPS strapped to my tank after 135.

My buddy has a 2003, and got the wobbles at 115mph like clockwork, even after having the bearings done.....He then got a UFO fork brace and immediately gained 20mph up top......he'll now hit 145 if the winds blowing in the right direction.:eusa_dance:

Fork brace, and progressive springs are "definitely" on the list of modifications that I want on my 07.

I took the fork brace off my 05 for a look/see; I wasn't impressed.
I am not a mechanic/technician, but there has to be something better.
That's why I'm here seeking input.........

I know one thing for damn sure; if I push my 05 up to 130, I start having problems reading the speedo. Not good in my opinion.

I will probably be ordering a fork brace & progressive springs early next week.
Not sure whether to go with UFO fork brace or a different brand?
That was one of my "next" mod monkey questions.........
I'm paying close attention!

Jester 42

I have a few fork braces left for the early forks but not for the later models. They are an ok compliment to the progressive springs (which we sell).

The only reason I got the UFO was because I liked the look, and got it used for 1/2 the price.

Chris

Starting modfications on recently purchased 07 Max next week.

Also: I would like to purchase a small, high quality, handlebar mounted tachometer.
The last place I want to be looking during rapid acceleration is down at the stock tach.
Any brand suggestions?

Jester 42

Finding a small conventional handlebar sweeping needle tach (that goes to at least 10K) is almost impossible.

I'll show you pics of a 5 inch I had on, and changed the whole set-up of the bike and switched to a 3 1/2 with a internal shift light.
To run a nice 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inch tach to 10K, you have to go digital.

Attachments

• IMG_3030-1.jpg
    IMG_3030-1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 22
I used to run a sunpro, it was a great tach. I just went in a different direction when it came to my instrumentation.

I sold the tach and am now runnin nekkid up top. Just a small speedo and a shift light.

I wired a 3-prong connector that is hidden away and gets hooked into another tach that I keep in the toolbox and use it when it comes to tuning.

Old set-up
p1020899i.jpg

instuments.jpg

New Look
user1127pic312212695528.jpg

user1127pic312112695528.jpg

Jester

Re springs - you have two choices a progressively wound spring (i.e. the spring rate changes along its length) or fixed rate (the spring rate is constant along the length)

Both will be an improvement and both have advantages.

Progressive wound springs are a 'one size fits all' solution, and the lower initial spring rate allows good absorption of bumps (high speed compression).
But - as a one size fits all solution they can't be tailored to the individuals weight and riding style.

Fixed rate springs give you several rates to choose from so can be selected on how heavy you are and your style of riding. However, you will be more aware of bumps during high speed compression.

In both cases it is essential to set the static sag (yes I know it's a pain but the effort is worthwhile) to get the maximum benefit.

If you want to improve the handling further then the next step would be to fit (say) Racetech Emulators.
I would then look for some 17" wheels (you will also need a brace to drop the front mudguard to avoid making the front look like a scrambler), followed by some decent rear shock absorbers.

By now the bike should be staring to handle pretty good.

If you want more the (in no particular order):
  • Solid mounts or frame bars
  • Braced swinging arm
  • Additional gusseting around the swinging arm pivot point.
  • A bracing ring on the drive shaft side adjacent to the pivot point
  • A RH pivot fitted to the LHS to allow front and rear wheel alignment
But the time you have done that lot, unless you are a Rossi or Spies then the bike can probably out handle your available talents!

For your tacho, have a butchers here. I have seen the matching Digi Dark speedo and tacho mounted together and very smart they look - recommended.

The first thing any vmax owner should do is replace the stock springs. Progressive or Racetech will work. Best bang for the buck mod in my opinion.:punk:

Dale #2592

K & N air filter, new front tire (back tire is new) , EBC-HH brake pads, Galfer SS lines, OEM chrome engine guards(crash bars?), and Dale Walker frame braces are going on this week; if weather breaks enough for a ride to shop. About 15 degrees here today w/ kick ass wind chill.

Progressive springs are on order............

Still trying to decide on brand of fork brace I want, and whether or not I want to go with a "real" tach.
Thinking about a Sunpro III, 3 3/8 inch, 10,000 rpm model with shift light.

Jester 42

Back