1st Gen V-Max Proud Owner!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
VMax Year
Hello everyone! I am finally a 1st gen Vmax owner from Colorado. It's an 03 Vmax with 15k on it.

Full Bike History:
Owner 1. Originally purchased by a Colorado State Trooper in 03 who ordered it from Yamaha in non-metallic Red (Flat Black with Silver stripes was the official 03 color). Unfortunately, he was forced to part with it in 04 after putting 3,400 miles on it needing to fund an untimely family health issue.

Owner 2. It spent the next 19 years accumulating seasonal miles with the 2nd owner until I purchased it in August 2023 with 15k on it. He was meticulous with routine maintenance, but is now retired and physically unable to enjoy it anymore. He was very particular who could view it and only willing to sell it to someone he felt would treat it well. It was always garaged and never put away wet.

Owner 3. I now have a pristine Vmax that is completely original except for the front springs (factory length Progressives). I now have the responsibility to treat it well and at the same time, not deprive myself..... I do twist the throttle out of every turn and on every straight!!!! I have dedicated space in the garage with a bike lift and currently ride it daily when weather is good.

What I have done so far is the following:
* Changed oil filter with Wix 51358XD and oil with Rotella T4 (Owner 2 was big on synthetic and it was hard to shift until the T4 brought her back in line. Neutral is still best down from 2nd though)
* Replaced front pads with EBC FA88HH and rear with EBC FA88
* Fresh flush of DOT4 front, rear, and clutch.(Old fluid was the color of Tea for clutch and rear brake so I flushed all of them completely)
* New set of Dunlop Qualifiers (The Dunlop Qualifiers removed had date codes 3104 front 2105 rear. Front was 90% but was hardening up and rear was needing changed anyway as the center was about 50%)
* coolant flush/replacement (Reservoir and fluid were normal green)
* Shot gunned the Carbs to restore the idle (It sat since 2018 due to health. He started it regularly, but never consumed all of the fuel. It did however have Stabil so could have been worse)
* Changed final drive gear oil with 80W
* Tightened the steering head bearings using Sean Morley's Youtube video (Had low speed wobble 30-45mph if 1 hand off of the bars. Completely gone now and no high speed wobble or drift either. Thanks Sean!!)
* Put factory exhaust back on (Owner 2 installed Cobra slash cuts, held on to the factory)
* Put factory foot controls and engine guards back on (Owner 2 installed forward controls due to not being able to bend his knee for a decent ride. held on to the factory)
* Put factory handlebars back on (Owner 2 installed bars 1" taller. I prefer the original position. He held on to the factory)
* Located and installed an OEM windscreen (Owner 2 installed a Plexistar 2 windscreen which has amazing coverage, but a bit unattractive to me 😁)

I haven't taken pictures since replacing the tires, but here she is. No pitting, scratches or dings to include the full exhaust:

20230902_110209.jpg20230902_110223.jpg20230902_110200.jpg20230902_110142.jpg20230902_110152.jpg

Thank you!

Very clean and looks similar to the 95 body color?
Yeah prior to buying it I suspected the panels had been replaced because of the color. However, I have searched everywhere I could think of and haven't found a specific paint reference or code for a VMax with red that isn't metallic let alone an 03. The color reminds me a lot of Honda Orange from the CR80R Elsinore I had as a kid. All I know is the panels have no sings of being repainted and are in perfect condition. If the 95 red was the same, I suppose the special order could have used overstock from 95?

Your a lucky man and the bike is lucky you came along to buy it. I like the black side panels and the bike just the way it is. You don't need to change a thing unless you want to. Enjoy that fine machine Helimech101

The 95 red is very orangish in my opinion and no metallic (or very little anyway).

Back