Pushing choke on shuts off while running

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucianVmax

Reaction score
Hello,

Newbie here needing help with my choke. I rode the bike today for a few miles after initial warm up and stopped to pump gas. It started fine with no choke then I pushed the choke on it turned off...:ummm: It seemed odd so I tried again and ditto pushing the choke on (down) shut it off.

Finally I just started it with no choke then rode home as normal without issues. I'm baffled as to why pushing the choke on shuts the bike off even after its warm...?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Hello,

Newbie here needing help with my choke. I rode the bike today for a few miles after initial warm up and stopped to pump gas. It started fine with no choke then I pushed the choke on it turned off...:ummm: It seemed odd so I tried again and ditto pushing the choke on (down) shut it off.

Finally I just started it with no choke then rode home as normal without issues. I'm baffled as to why pushing the choke on shuts the bike off even after its warm...?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Not supposed to run with the choke on-you are making it too rich.
Only use it when it is cold and needs it to start.

When you pull the choke it has a dual effect – one it stops or restricts the air supply from the air filter and two, it creates a low pressure or partial vacuum which exerts a pull effect on the fuel inlet thereby pulling in more fuel.

Thanks for the feedback. I read some posts online that say it acts that way if its already warm so I won't do that again :)

Incorrect. These bikes do not have a "choke" which by definition restricts incoming air while fueling the same amount which in turn makes a rich mixture.

They have a fuel enrichener which is easier to simply call it a choke since the final outcome is similar (a richer mixture). The incoming air is not reduced but the circuit opened up by the lever dumps more fuel into that same qty of air. When you open the lever you get a sudden flood of fuel and you need to either do so slowly or give it a little throttle while doing so. Then the sudden flood will be consumed and the engine can rev up as part of the effect.

This is also the reason why these bikes can run with almost completely clogged carbs. When pulling on the "choke" you now get one of the largest passages to begin flowing fuel. To plug this passage in these carbs would be nearly impossible.

Welcome to the forum, you have the best year MAX 8^), but yellow is the fastest color.

Incorrect. These bikes do not have a "choke" which by definition restricts incoming air while fueling the same amount which in turn makes a rich mixture.

They have a fuel enrichener which is easier to simply call it a choke since the final outcome is similar (a richer mixture). The incoming air is not reduced but the circuit opened up by the lever dumps more fuel into that same qty of air. When you open the lever you get a sudden flood of fuel and you need to either do so slowly or give it a little throttle while doing so. Then the sudden flood will be consumed and the engine can rev up as part of the effect.

This is also the reason why these bikes can run with almost completely clogged carbs. When pulling on the "choke" you now get one of the largest passages to begin flowing fuel. To plug this passage in these carbs would be nearly impossible.

I was being general.

WHEN COLD STARTING WITH THE CHOKE ENGAGED THE REVS GO UP THEN AFTER A WHILE THEY DROP DOWN TELLING YOU TO DISENGAGE THE CHOKE WHAT CAUSES THE REVS TO DROP SIGNALLING CHOKE TO BE DISENGAGED ?

WHEN COLD STARTING WITH THE CHOKE ENGAGED THE REVS GO UP THEN AFTER A WHILE THEY DROP DOWN TELLING YOU TO DISENGAGE THE CHOKE WHAT CAUSES THE REVS TO DROP SIGNALLING CHOKE TO BE DISENGAGED ?

These are CV carbs....constant velocity carbs. They get RICHER the hotter they get. So, as the bike warms up, the carbs get richer( and the enrichener/choke is already making the bike run rich) and the RPM drop due to being too rich.

Back