Question about 85 front forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayoublaster

Reaction score
I'd like to paint the bottom of my forks on my 85 Max. Anyone know off the top of their head what kind of metal the bottom section of the forks are made of? Would it be aluminum by chance?
I posted this in the suspension forum but I was told I'd get quicker resonses here. Sorry about the double post.
I'm aware of the different methods used to prep various metals for paint, but I haven't stripped the paint off of the forks yet.
Thanks for all the help!

actually, I think it's cast aluminum, meaning it will probably break before bending.....but it's aluminum just the same.

for my forks i used a fine wire wheel to strip the clear off the forks, wiped them down with duplicolor prep and then primed with self etching primer and put 3 coats of duplicolor acrylic enamel flat black. All of these were rattle can and the paint is still there after a year of riding with no chips or flakes.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410081290.636651.jpg

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

Just curious if the flat black you used on Ya forks came out flat black or flat black with a soft sheen to it? Not a sheen where it is shiny mind you, but kinda like a soft glow to it. Minda hard for me to put into words, but that's the kind of flat black I'm looking for. Thanks and appreciate the help.

Just curious if the flat black you used on Ya forks came out flat black or flat black with a soft sheen to it? Not a sheen where it is shiny mind you, but kinda like a soft glow to it. Minda hard for me to put into words, but that's the kind of flat black I'm looking for. Thanks and appreciate the help.

Different clear might give you the effect you're looking for.

the paint was flat but after it set for 7 days i used 0000 steel wool and it gave it a hint of a shine without using clear. ill see if i can get a better picture tomorrow for you.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

Satin black gives an in-between, almost glossy, but not shiny look.

Latest posts

Back