Question re. stripped threads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi folks:

What would you recommend to repair stripped threads in the Max's oil pan where the drain bolt screws into?

(A REAL idiot I am very familiar with has misaligned the drain bolt when replacing this bolt and rendered the oil pan at least temporarily useless!)

Thanks muchly.

Elimax

Yuck, I will be going through this with my 33 year old xs1100 the next time I change the oil. I'm sure others will chime in but this is what I've found out through investigation regarding choices.

1: Replace the oil pan.
2: Try a slightly oversized self tapping bolt you can get from an autoparts store.
3: Drill, tap and install a helicoil or a timesert http://www.timesert.com/

Most guys would probably recommend removing the oil pan to do the drill tap method for fear of small metal bits getting into the engine but if you checkout the timesert website they give some good tips on how to do it without removing it. I think they suggest using grease on the drill bit and tap to minimize the metal bits from getting in and then pouring the oil you just drained out of the bike back through the bike to flush out what you may have missed. Either way it's risky surgery. I don't know how involved it is changing the oil pan on the vmax but if it isn't extremely hard to do I would drop the pan and drill tap/timesert or helicoil it while it is off the bike or simply get a used oil pan on ebay with good threads. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Hi folks:

What would you recommend to repair stripped threads in the Max's oil pan where the drain bolt screws into?

(A REAL idiot I am very familiar with has misaligned the drain bolt when replacing this bolt and rendered the oil pan at least temporarily useless!)

Thanks muchly.

Elimax
If it were mine I'd prolly pull the pan. You never know what you might see upon inspection. I pulled my pan for a different reason and found the o-ring bulging out.
I do think you could do a quick repair with sucess too. Maybe just a thread chasing and new bolt? It depends on how bad and which part is damaged the most. No matter what, it's go to be right.
Steve-o

yea i'd probably try a helicoil, altho by the time you find the bit, tap and coils it'd probably be cheaper to buy a pan off of sean or kyle or someone with a gasket and swap it out. while you're there you can check your o-ring and fix it if necessary.

I do have pans if you need one. The timesert though might be a good way to go!

Sean

Pull the pan, seize the chance to inspect the lower part and oil circuit, weld the drain hole and retap to specs. Any metal worker able to weld alloy will do fine... Or just replace it by another good one. Don't know how much can be but its the easiest solution. Check with Sean...

If you can't salvage whats there I would just buy another drain bolt. The auto parts store sell a bunch of sizes. Go up the least amount you can and drill/tap to fit the new bolt. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the pan. It aint hard to do.

Back