Quick Shifters and auto tunes....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCytcHc-Sc4

I was thinking air shifter, but after checking into the quickshifter setup, I think I might just run one of those. Less headache to install and its smooth. I notice he only uses it one time in the video, maybe just out of habit. But man was it nice sounding delivery.

You have to run a PCV to run the Quickshifter from PC. But you can get the whole setup for around $400 if you shop around, $300 if you buy used.....

Simply plug in a few wires and set up the shifter solenoid and your done!

DYNO-QSP3-C-012_is

dk209747.jpg

Next is the auto tune option.... which constantly monitors and makes changes to your mapping..... Any of you Gen 2 guys using this stuff?

10200923.jpg

Todd

I run one on my 2010 VMax and my 03 R1, Both DJ... Will never have another performance bike with out it!
I have mine set to work at 3500.... I use them essentially all the time, even for normal street riding.
Most Gen II guys use The PCV but not the stock actuator from them... We typically use the Evoluzion actuator.. more compact installation.
A few have tried the auto tune, only one or two have had good luck with producing a usable map though... Don't know if The Gen II does not like it, or the auto tune does not work well... No personal experience

I am a dealer for the DJ stuff and not sure what kind of pricing I can do but you're more then welcome to email me and i'll find out!

Back in the day, I used the precursor of the quickshifter... the Kill button. From 14yrs old up I always had a kill button under my left thumb. When we build WHOS CHICKEN we made it more automatic by using a kill switch activated by the shift lever. A slotracer buddy of mine (he made electronic controllers for slot cars ) made up a little delay box. this controlled just how long the "kill" was shorted.

Early, I found that it was much harder for the first to second shift then the 3rd to 4th. The newer one of these let you set the "off" for 1st to be one value and other gears different values. I think we used .050 of a sec for all shifts but we could shift 3rd to 4th with only .03 sec. We never used multiple delays because I didn't think it was worth it and you would have to have some way to reset it so it knew when you were in 1st. As I screwed up about every other thing in my racing, I figured one less thing to go wrong.

In use, "kill button" shifting was good for about .05 to .09 on a run compared to "power
shifting". I blew up a lot of stuff on my drag bikes, but never had a clutch or trans fail on me. (of course the trans was serviced every week and the clutch was often serviced at the track . I did have a chain fail on a 3rd 4th shift in a final run at Detroit For you younging there used to be a drag strip at Slibly ant Dix) right after that I got around to installing a rev limiter, it was a very expensive install.

God to think what I spent in the "good old days"

Back in the day, I used the precursor of the quickshifter... the Kill button. From 14yrs old up I always had a kill button under my left thumb. When we build WHOS CHICKEN we made it more automatic by using a kill switch activated by the shift lever. A slotracer buddy of mine (he made electronic controllers for slot cars ) made up a little delay box. this controlled just how long the "kill" was shorted.

Early, I found that it was much harder for the first to second shift then the 3rd to 4th. The newer one of these let you set the "off" for 1st to be one value and other gears different values. I think we used .050 of a sec for all shifts but we could shift 3rd to 4th with only .03 sec. We never used multiple delays because I didn't think it was worth it and you would have to have some way to reset it so it knew when you were in 1st. As I screwed up about every other thing in my racing, I figured one less thing to go wrong.

In use, "kill button" shifting was good for about .05 to .09 on a run compared to "power
shifting". I blew up a lot of stuff on my drag bikes, but never had a clutch or trans fail on me. (of course the trans was serviced every week and the clutch was often serviced at the track . I did have a chain fail on a 3rd 4th shift in a final run at Detroit For you younging there used to be a drag strip at Slibly ant Dix) right after that I got around to installing a rev limiter, it was a very expensive install.

God to think what I spent in the "good old days"

Very cool........now-a-days it's as easy as:

QuickShifter2.jpg

Can i get a mount for a hayabusa that is bolt and play so to speak.

Holy crow thats expensive..... but is that the one that can plug right into the ECU ?

$600 I think the PCV and quickshifter would still be around $500 and you get the benefit of the PCV programming as well ( doing it yourself ).

Also I called Dynojet today, sent in my paper work to become a dealer. :biglaugh:

Todd

Todd Thats what my wife says but i still have come up with a mount.

I looked at my shifter today and its mounted directly to the shift shaft. Been awhile since I ve seen a sport bike like that. Most have a rod in between because they are farther back.

Todd

Tmi The guy loses A little Bit Of Weight And now he can See his shaft he has to share it with everyone

IMO, don't bother with auto tune. I have one here if you want to buy it, though. Basically, the engine revs quicker than the 02 sensor registers. That is why an eddy brake is important on a dyno. Quick shifter is good, but not as good as an airshifter for dragstrip work. I went 8's on my Gen 1 14, 65", no spray, but it was 15 lbs heavier than a full street setup, and I was around 225 lbs suited.

14build685.JPG

All 06-11 are considered "Gen 1". 14R is Gen 2. I have a 212 mph, stock motor 14R:

12071314r02.jpg

But have a lot of time with Gen 1's...

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=40269

I think my Gen 1 is still the fastest stock motor Gen 1 ever officially timed, at 211.97 mph. Tailwinds come in handy!

Last edited:
Todd im thinking i might just cut the cat open and clean it out re-weld and send my ecu over to the guy in jackson and have it reflashed. take it to the track and see what it will do. I will do more in time but i want to enjoy the bike in stock form for a while. and the trips will cost me this year.

Todd im thinking i might just cut the cat open and clean it out re-weld and send my ecu over to the guy in jackson and have it reflashed. take it to the track and see what it will do. I will do more in time but i want to enjoy the bike in stock form for a while. and the trips will cost me this year.

I can reflash an ecu, if it is a ZX-14(R)...pm me. I can at least give you some general advice on the options out there.

Shane,
Thanks for the info. I started to read the first 2 pages of the 78 pages you have there! I ll shoot you a message soon.

Thanks
Todd

Cool. I tried a lot of parts and setups and will be happy to give any advice that I can!

Ok I am on page 17...... man you've done so much with that bike in 17 pages....well beyond what I ll do. But what an interesting write up. And thank you very much for doing so and documenting everything so well also. I haven't seen a write up like that in a long time. Like a good book. I want to keep reading and reading. My wife was yelling at me last night to go to bed!

Todd

Back