R1 Voltage Regulator / Rectifier Upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle , just so I have this right...this is a straight forward replacement for the stock unit that improves the charging rate . Any other items have to be changed ?

Kyle , just so I have this right...this is a straight forward replacement for the stock unit that improves the charging rate . Any other items have to be changed ?
The only thing you have to do is get longer bolts for it & run a ground wire pretty strait forward. I dont want to sell this to you if you are not having any problems feel free to call me at 813-270-0000 Thanks,Kyle

The only thing you have to do is get longer bolts for it & run a ground wire pretty strait forward. I dont want to sell this to you if you are not having any problems feel free to call me at 813-270-0000 Thanks,Kyle
thanks Capt., I got the r/r today. I just have to pick up the longer bolts and get some heat shrink tubing for the hard wire hookup. Sure looks like a heavier duty unit with the cooling fins and a dedicated - neg. wire.
thanks again, Bill

thanks Capt., I got the r/r today. I just have to pick up the longer bolts and get some heat shrink tubing for the hard wire hookup. Sure looks like a heavier duty unit with the cooling fins and a dedicated - neg. wire.
thanks again, Bill
No problem & if you need any thing else or have any questions please let me know. Thanks again !

Firstly, an R/R off of most any modern sportbike will work, I have one off an 04 Kawi ZX6R on Toxic. Biggest thing is to make sure you know which wire goes where. It is not as intuitive as you would think! For the Kawi it is actually counter intuitive (the straight black wire is your POSITIVE connection!!) so you need to get the wiring diagram if you are going outside of what others here have done.

Also, have you done the "crimp fix" yet??? If not I would recommend you do that first and THEN see what your voltage is. Most folks find that they gain ~1v at the battery once they do this fix. Before buying anything do this fix first. Revisit purchasing an R/R if needed.

What is the crimp fix again ???for us slow guys.

I bought a 2007 rear peg mount that came with the R/R on it and it's finned. Is there any improvement with this R/R over my 1988 flat unit?

So I dont need the crimp fix if I run a 30amp fuse d wire to the plus side of the battery?.Do I also need to solder any connections cause I am not good at soldering anything.I cant get the solder to stick .

Kyle

I'm pretty new to this forum but have a bit of a problem you may be able to advise on. My 89 has burned out the second r/r in about 3500 miles so I have just got hold of a 08 R6 unit , it has 6 connections do you have an idea of which wires should go where or have I just bought something that is of no use? I have also got a set of 02 R1 COPs so I assume from what I have read that I will need to incorperate 1 ohm 25 watt resistors in the supply wires to these so as not to burn out my ignition unit? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

You may have a stator problem instead that is burning your RRs. Check that as well. If you are talking about the RR with the grey and black connector, the grey connector is where the stator white wires go regardless of order and the black connector has positive on the left and ground on the right, middle one is unused. This is looking with grey connector left and black right...

Should be like this...

smr-19pic1.jpg

This one should fit:

YAMAHA XV1700 Road Star Silverado, 04
YAMAHA XV1600 Road Star / Midnight Star / Silverado, 99-03
YAMAHA XVZ1300 Royal Star / Venture / S, 99-11
YAMAHA XVZ1300 Royal Star Tour, 05-07
YAMAHA XVS1100 V-Star 1100 Classic/Custom, 99-03
YAMAHA XVS1100 V-Star Classic / Silverado, 04-05, 06-09
YAMAHA YZF-R6, 06-11

Wildweasel
You are a champion I sort of guessed that the lower 3 would be supply and the top would be + - and something else but was a bit wary of connecting and blowing something and having to spend zillions of $ to fix a stuffup.
Thankyou

Decided the best place to mount R/R unit was under seat where right rear coil lived so then had to convert to COPs. Having made the decision there was no alternative so have installed rear COPs as well as R/R have not got the front COPs installed yet but starts and runs real good with 13.5V to 14.5V at 2500rpm so all good so far.

Thanks for all the help from the forum. You guys rock

Back