Race tech or progressive fork springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transam

Reaction score
Plan on changing the fork springs on the bike as I have to
change my fork seals. Was going to get some progressives
from Sean but just wondering if Racetechs are any better. I just picked up some progressive 440's so I usually try to match components
assuming the developers plan on there products working
together. ? Maybe not ?
Mostly use the bike for cruising. Also do you need a special
tool to do the fork spring/ seal change ?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,

Chris

I would recommend a straight rate spring.

But since you have progressive shocks go with a progressive spring.

Im not sure if racetech is a straight or prog.

Race Tech is straight rate. They have different rate springs for different needs and/or rider weights.

I have Racetec springs and ems. But I haven't put them in yet.
I'm still waiting on Silkolene 15wt fork oil. No one sells it here in or around Orlando that I have found. So I ordered it from MonDak!

I said this before. Progressive are better than stock from what I've riden. I've never riden ractec before, but I equate it to a one size fits all for Progressive, and Personally Tailored to fit For Racetec.

I used race tech springs and emulators when I did mine, and I am happy with the results. they will "suggest" a spring rate for you, and I went with what they recommended.

But, they don't include enough spacer material with the springs. I have the older skinny forks, and I couldn't find pvc to fit. I was lucky enough to find a piece of scrap aluminum tube at a metal recycler that was the perfect size.

Race tech offered to sell me another piece of their spacer, and even told me that if I had bought them directly from them they would have given me the spacer.

Their lame ass excuse as to why it doesn't come with enough material was that the "springs fit many different models"

that kind of cheezed me off!

I used race tech springs and emulators when I did mine, and I am happy with the results. they will "suggest" a spring rate for you, and I went with what they recommended.

But, they don't include enough spacer material with the springs. I have the older skinny forks, and I couldn't find pvc to fit. I was lucky enough to find a piece of scrap aluminum tube at a metal recycler that was the perfect size.

Race tech offered to sell me another piece of their spacer, and even told me that if I had bought them directly from them they would have given me the spacer.

Their lame ass excuse as to why it doesn't come with enough material was that the "springs fit many different models"

that kind of cheezed me off!

They gave me plenty with mine. But like you said, I got mine directly from Racetec.

As I stated previously.

You have progressive rate springs on rear. You should use progressive rate springs in the front. even though i prefer straight rate. you should not mix the two

I sent a message to Race-Tech to see if there is any validity to your claim. (not calling you a liar)

I have had ZERO issues with my bike.

I sent a message to Race-Tech to see if there is any validity to your claim. (not calling you a liar)

I've never heard of any issues combining the two either. I just recently purchased some 12.5" 440's and have talked with the tech dept. at progressive so I shot off an email to the guy who had helped me before.

Don't know if this is relevant but I have Race Tech springs and Progressive 418 shocks and it handles great (for a Max :rofl_200:).

Here is a question, If I ride 2 up 30% of the time but solo
the rest how would they be able to get me a spring
recommendation ? Is the point of a progressive rate spring
to give you an initial softer ride that firms up ? Would a straight rate
spring be stiffer all the way through its travel ? Last is the factory
spring progressive or straight rate. I realize progressive is the
name of the company is that also the type of spring rate ?
Wow confused myself. :ummm:
Chris

i understand your not calling me a liar. im not offended.

But think about it. common sense would tell you not to mix the two.

they function completly different from each other.

Please call them, im curious to what their answer is.

Now, mixing the two will not cause any detrimental issues. it still is an improvement to the max but not ideal.

Then call this guy www.le-suspension.com

He is the best in the biz. he reworks ohlins,wp, and so on. he makes all the others better.

he reworks emulators. emulators are a poor poor design. if you take the time to understand how emulators and overall suspension works you will realize why they are a poor design.

he has more AMA titles on his suspended bikes than any other suspension company out their.

you say you never had issues with your bike. Im sure you havent. but the thing is its because you dont know any better. no offense

compare your bike to another that is set up like yours but with properly tuned suspension and then you will see the light.

thats because you dont know any better

Here is a question, If I ride 2 up 30% of the time but solo
the rest how would they be able to get me a spring
recommendation ? Is the point of a progressive rate spring
to give you an initial softer ride that firms up ? Would a straight rate
spring be stiffer all the way through its travel ? Last is the factory
spring progressive or straight rate. I realize progressive is the
name of the company is that also the type of spring rate ?
Wow confused myself. :ummm:
Chris

Your logic is correct. you understand, your not confused

and yes the springs are "progressive RATE" and "straight rate" those are types not name brands

Thanks MNMAX,
Believe I'll go with the Progressives, not that I
Believe they are better than the Racetechs but
as you pretty much reinforced my belief that they
would probably work better with my 440's. Seems
that at least in the automotive world manufactures spend
a lot of $ on R & D to get the best results from their
product. You can put alot of engine components together
with the same spec components but not get the same results.
(i.e. Edelbrock power builds,Holley systemax kits & Banks) Not
saying it can't be done but for most layman such as myself
I'll defer to the experts. Those guys have a lot of diplomas
on the wall, not the High school one I got either. I'd still
like to hear the results from the calls though.
Thanks one and all, hoping to ride Sunday. (-:
Chris

4gasem,

Are you running Racetech front and rear? I couldn't find any rear springs/shocks listed on there site.

to my knowledge racetech does not offer rear shocks thats why 75% of us run progressives on the rear the other shocks get very pricey . i have the same set up as Chris in front racetech springs and emulators with a 2" internal drop nite and day difference and racetech is easy to deal with they will even set up your forks if you send them in. i did my own but Chris sent his in and its very reasonable plus the 25% discount makes it nice.
Chris

I've never heard of any issues combining the two either. I just recently purchased some 12.5" 440's and have talked with the tech dept. at progressive so I shot off an email to the guy who had helped me before.

Progressive's response:

"I have not heard of any such complaints but that would really
depend on the rider. If the springs are sprung for your weight I don't
see any issue with the install. "

:confused2:Not as technical an answer as I had hoped for. Regardless, I have nothing bad to say about Progressive. They make a good product, and stand behind it, IMO. They have helped me with parts for minimal cost and have heard them do the same for others on this forum.

Back