Raising Front Forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ost85vmax

Reaction score
So when I bought my bike it had racetech fork internals lowered 2" I believe. Now I am looking to raise them back up at least an inch since I am 6'4. Any simple way of doing this besides buying the proper spring kit ect?

are the top of the fork tubes sitting above the top yoke of the tree? if they are flush then a "proper" lowering, or in your case, raising, kit is in order

No kit needed.

Take the forks apart. On the damping rod you will find a spacer. Most likely PVC since you have racetech springs. Cut the spacer the amount you want to raise the forks.

You will need to adjust the length of the preload spacer. Whatever you cut off the damper rod spacer, add to the preload spacer. I would buy a new piece of PVC so you don't have 2 pieces. Only thing I would buy is PVC, 2 bottles of fork oil, and 2 copper washers for the damper bolts. It would be a good time to replace seals if needed but, not necessary.

The Stock Metal Spacers are 9-5/8" Long (I just measured them for you).

Does anybody knows the stock length of those on the damping rod?

What would be the effect of having longer ones than stock? Lower?

I'm thinking about checking my fork soon since I believe it has been messed up before.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Does anybody knows the stock length of those on the damping rod?

What would be the effect of having longer ones than stock? Lower?

I'm thinking about checking my fork soon since I believe it has been messed up before.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The stock "spacer" on the damper rod is actually a spring. Not sure of the exact length.

If you add a spacer or another spring to the damper rod, it will lower the forks.

You could always see if anyone wants to trade stock forks with springs for the lowered ones...

Look for the assembly videos I have that will show you the stock configuration as well as the lowering parts. Basically, you'll take out everything under the dampening rod except (1) spring that's about 1" long. Then use the correct spacer on top to get approx 1" of preload. So, the spacer will just barely stick out past the fork tube when you go to put on the top cap.

Back