raising the needle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildman98

Reaction score
RAISING THE NEEDLE ONE SHIM. WHAT DOES THIS DO RICHEN IT UP A LITTLE OR LEAN IT DOWN I AM THINKING RICHER. :ummm: THANKS BILL

A shim or shims up to about 0.038 total can be used to Richen the mid range....

Indeed. Raising it makes the midrange only (controlled by the needle) go richer, as the hole in the jet that the needle goes through is opened a bit quicker.

Hey Wildman98 Bill,
Just wanted to add to your post. I've been tweeking my carbs this off season to better max engine performance with the Marks pipes & baffels I installed. Finding that needle shim thickness is soooo critical. And because I have the baffels installed in the mufflers, I'm seeing needle shim differences from what others are running with their open std Mark's pipes system.

First, you got to make sure your float level is set correctly at 17mm. Mine were too high / rich from the factory. Now, they're spot-on at 17mm.

Tried the std 0.040" needle shim thickness recommended - too rich / plugs were blackish and performance was doggie. :bang head:
Took one shim out so I was at 0.020" - too lean / white tip plugs. :bang head::bang head:
Now I'm trying one 0.030" shim under the needle. Performance seems very good - need a few more miles to see how the plug color is doing. :biglaugh:

Depending on the plug color, may need to tweek a little higher or lower, if I can find the right shim thickness. :confused2:

Bottom line - it's amazing that such a small change in needle shim thickness can have such a profound effect on the V-Max engine performance.

BTW : last time I saw you pulling away in a LOUD, second gear burn-out - didn't think your carbs needles needed tweeking :rofl_200:

From what I could tell it certainly looked like it was running well...............................:punk:

Hey Wildman98 Bill,
Just wanted to add to your post. I've been tweeking my carbs this off season to better max engine performance with the Marks pipes & baffels I installed. Finding that needle shim thickness is soooo critical. And because I have the baffels installed in the mufflers, I'm seeing needle shim differences from what others are running with their open std Mark's pipes system.

First, you got to make sure your float level is set correctly at 17mm. Mine were too high / rich from the factory. Now, they're spot-on at 17mm.

Tried the std 0.040" needle shim thickness recommended - too rich / plugs were blackish and performance was doggie. :bang head:
Took one shim out so I was at 0.020" - too lean / white tip plugs. :bang head::bang head:
Now I'm trying one 0.030" shim under the needle. Performance seems very good - need a few more miles to see how the plug color is doing. :biglaugh:

Depending on the plug color, may need to tweek a little higher or lower, if I can find the right shim thickness. :confused2:

Bottom line - it's amazing that such a small change in needle shim thickness can have such a profound effect on the V-Max engine performance.

BTW : last time I saw you pulling away in a LOUD, second gear burn-out - didn't think your carbs needles needed tweeking :rofl_200:
Hey jeff you prob no how it is just trying to tweak it in a little more might be able to get 40 more foot of the black stripe down:biglaugh:

From what I could tell it certainly looked like it was running well...............................:punk:
TOM you will be doing 2nd gear burnouts before you no it:biglaugh: Then we can go down at the same time and get 2 tires each to get us threw the season:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back