Random comment for the day

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Flew in to Denver Sunday for a job in North Eastern Co. and had reserved what I thought was going to be a stripped down Ford F150.

Turned out to be a 2011 Crew Cab F150 4x4 with Fords new 5.0L Four cam, 4 valve per cylinder Engine, Didn't know about the engine when I drove it off, but very quickly realized "Holy fuck this thing is fast for a crew cab truck!!!"

(I love beating up on rentals!, does nice burnouts once you figure out how to disable all the high tech gadgets....)

Looked it up, 365Hp/420Tq......Out of a 5.0L

I'm a rabid Chevy man but this truck impressed the shit out of me.....

They're making a 6.2L Gas version that has 411/434 too......They're the modular design motors started in the Mustang...

From what I can tell the 4.6 and 5.4 are going away in the trucks, I think....

Between that and Ford not taking the Gov't bailout I could change my loyalty, Chevy is still stuck on pushrod, 2 valve motors, still, in 2011, WTF?......

Flew in to Denver Sunday for a job in North Eastern Co. and had reserved what I thought was going to be a stripped down Ford F150.

Turned out to be a 2011 Crew Cab F150 4x4 with Fords new 5.0L Four cam, 4 valve per cylinder Engine, Didn't know about the engine when I drove it off, but very quickly realized "Holy fuck this thing is fast for a crew cab truck!!!"

(I love beating up on rentals!, does nice burnouts once you figure out how to disable all the high tech gadgets....)

They're making a 6.2L Gas version that has 411/434 too......They're the modular design motors started in the Mustang...

Between that and Ford not taking the Gov't bailout I could change my loyalty, Chevy is still stuck on pushrod, 2 valve motors, still, in 2011, WTF?......
The 5.0 in the Mustang makes about 410 hp stock. Mahle Inc in Morristown, Tn provides the pistons for the 5.0 and 6.2 and these are a bastard to make. I was responsible for the surface treatment on these which also proved difficult but.....some very tight tolerances. I too am now leaning towards the Fords for one of the reasons you mentioned...they didn't do a bail out that I know of and I have been with Ford trucks for years.....in my book, extremely reliable.........

i've alway been a chevy guy. and still am love the gm muscule cars. as for my daily driver.
i recently got a good deal on a 01 ford ranger. all though i have learned that . fix or repair daily. is kinda true. repairs have been easy and faily cheap. with the Ford not taking bailout money. and seeing the quality of the ranger ( compared to chevy s-10's).
the ford is all around a better truck.and the ford 4.0 seams to have more power than the chevy 4.3 .

Apparently the V6 Ecoboost is quite the motor as well with the same power and torque as the numbers you mentioned above but getting better mileage. Think its twin water cooled turbos boosting the numbers.

i've alway been a chevy guy. and still am love the gm muscule cars. as for my daily driver.
i recently got a good deal on a 01 ford ranger. all though i have learned that . fix or repair daily. is kinda true. repairs have been easy and faily cheap. with the Ford not taking bailout money. and seeing the quality of the ranger ( compared to chevy s-10's).
the ford is all around a better truck.and the ford 4.0 seams to have more power than the chevy 4.3 .

I guess you like 'em old... the S-10 GMC S-15 Sonoma haven't been built in 9 years. It's the Colorado/Canyon now. I bet you knew that, maybe you were referring to something of the same vintage as the Ranger.

My GMC Canyon inline 5 puts out more horsepower than any Mustang GT (I had two of those) from 1982-1993 and from 80 cu inches less. It makes > 1 h.p./cu.in. and if it wasn't speed limited electronically, it would top 125 mph. It tows 5500 lbs and I get 18-20 mpg mixed use & a high of 24.5 mpg on the highway ( 24.5 was when I kept it below 65 mph). It seats 4 (crew cab) adults and I can haul 4 x 8' sheets of whatever, just not flat between the wheelwells. I constantly get positive comments on it since I bought it new under Cash for Clunkers.

I was a Ford man for many years, and had 2 Ford trucks at the same time for a long time, including an old Ford Econoline cab-over inline 6 which was always a conversation-starter, I had two of 'em.

I looked at Tacomas, Frontiers, and the Ranger, but the best bang for the buck was the GMC/Chevy 355 series as they are called. SInce I keep my vehicles for a long time, I am not concerned about resale value as someone is who trades 'em in every 3 yrs. Then the' Taco' seems to have the best resale value. The Dodge mid-size is too-much of a gas hog.

Speaking of gas hogs, I traded a GMC 8' bed Sierra w/the 4.3 L engine in on the Canyon, that pig got maybe 13 mpg. The Canyon is so-much more fun to drive than the Sierra! And, nothing aggravates the Dodge truck Hemis like seeing a Canyon pull them from a stoplight, forcing them to kick it into passing gear to 'lead the way!'

Attachments

• GMC + car speakers 001.jpg
    GMC + car speakers 001.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 14
ECO-BOOST FOR ME! Watch the video from Ford on what punishing tests they put it through. It's an awesome engine. Actually ALL of Fords current engines are awesome.

The 2L eco-boost is coming out shortly as well. Also a great power house.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

The lowest HP engine they offer in the F150 is 300HP and it's a 3.7L V6.

Chris

Chevy's 4.3 is an absolute gutless wonder. Our little single cab short box 1500 at work has one....no balls whatsoever. The transmission shifts way too soon, it's determined to never let it get over 2000rpm and to make it downshift you have to mat it to the carpet. With a modest boat behind it (18' bowrider), even with the two mode engaged, the gas pedal is seriously more of an on/off switch. Stopped or floored. Even when you mat it and it finally spins up to like 4000, just not a lot happens. No power, no hustle, lots of noise and the speedo slightly creeps upward.

Driving up the big hill out of Ticonderoga on 74, I floored it. Kicked down to second, and wound out to redline in second, which is about 55mph. Went to third, now at only around 3500rpm, and instantly the speed dropped like a rock. This pissed the transmission off, as it started to spaz out and hunt wildly between second and third.

Ford's engine lineup is by far the best in the business. The ecoboost motors are amazing....first twin-turbo factory truck....that's cool. The 5.4 in my truck is OK, it's torquey and has adequate power but nothing that even remotely approaches fun, but it's only got 260hp to cart around four tons of truck. Which in 2001 (until 03) was the maximum power you could get....now 300hp is the base.

I'd love to drive an ecoboost v6 single cab short box....bet those are downright quick.

This is very big with me too....been GM since before dirt but my next one's gonna be a Ford! Just the way it is! :punk:

I don't mind the Fords at all. The main daily driver is the "Hawkmobile" A fully loaded '02 Explorer Sport, Its quick and gets nice gas milage and totally comfortable to drive. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. The stereo is sweet sounding, it's good looking, nice mileage and I've never had a problem with it.

For power and rumbly memories, I go back to the truck I took my drivers test in when I was 16. Instead of buying a new truck, I just had the trans and transfer case rebuilt and popped in a nice little 400+hp powerplant. It's interior is still in mint condition. I think it still looks good and sounds awesome (like they say, if you have a small block that sounds like a big block ... you have a runner) I have alot of history and good memories with this truck to let it go. If it had a downside I'd say its the 790 Edelbrock carb. about 9mpg around town (wayyyy less if I start to put my foot through it) and 15-16 on the highway. the saving grace is it has a 33 gal tank :) Besides, it still sports the hand etched windows, my mom did back in '83. Now that she's passed, its a nice little reminder that she's still hanging out.

Attachments

• Hawkmobile.jpg
    Hawkmobile.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 8
  • dodge2.jpg
    dodge2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 11
  • dodge1.jpg
    dodge1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Etching_1.jpg
    Etching_1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Etching_2.jpg
    Etching_2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 13
I guess you like 'em old... the S-10 GMC S-15 Sonoma haven't been built in 9 years. It's the Colorado/Canyon now. I bet you knew that, maybe you were referring to something of the same vintage as the Ranger.

My GMC Canyon inline 5 puts out more horsepower than any Mustang GT (I had two of those) from 1982-1993 and from 80 cu inches less. It makes > 1 h.p./cu.in. and if it wasn't speed limited electronically, it would top 125 mph. It tows 5500 lbs and I get 18-20 mpg mixed use & a high of 24.5 mpg on the highway ( 24.5 was when I kept it below 65 mph). It seats 4 (crew cab) adults and I can haul 4 x 8' sheets of whatever, just not flat between the wheelwells. I constantly get positive comments on it since I bought it new under Cash for Clunkers.

I was a Ford man for many years, and had 2 Ford trucks at the same time for a long time, including an old Ford Econoline cab-over inline 6 which was always a conversation-starter, I had two of 'em.

I looked at Tacomas, Frontiers, and the Ranger, but the best bang for the buck was the GMC/Chevy 355 series as they are called. SInce I keep my vehicles for a long time, I am not concerned about resale value as someone is who trades 'em in every 3 yrs. Then the' Taco' seems to have the best resale value. The Dodge mid-size is too-much of a gas hog.

Speaking of gas hogs, I traded a GMC 8' bed Sierra w/the 4.3 L engine in on the Canyon, that pig got maybe 13 mpg. The Canyon is so-much more fun to drive than the Sierra! And, nothing aggravates the Dodge truck Hemis like seeing a Canyon pull them from a stoplight, forcing them to kick it into passing gear to 'lead the way!'

ya i do like them old. the ranger i got is a 01. so i'm a good 10 years behind LOL. i tend to keep my trucks for a long time. or untill they piss me off. i had just got rid of a clean low mile 96 blazer. so the 01 has all kinds of new (to me ) bells and whistles. :ummm:

good story mr shover. always a great reason to hold on to your favorite cars... im pissed that ive let so many go. no room to keep is the big reason. 67 impala ss, 64 pontiac, 65 f100 all nice and many great memories... sigh...

peace,
evan...

good story mr shover. always a great reason to hold on to your favorite cars... im pissed that ive let so many go. no room to keep is the big reason. 67 impala ss, 64 pontiac, 65 f100 all nice and many great memories... sigh...

peace,
evan...

Totally agree, the ones I regret most were the 70 T/A, a 67 S/S R/S 327 w/ powerglide and optioned heavily, ever see a fold down rear seat in one of these? a '71 Camaro that was nothing special but was a really nice hot rod after all the work, a 66 Chevy short bed step side that was a real beast with a 454 and a 400 auto, and a 74 Laguna S3 with 454 and 4spd. The last was kinda of a wierd car, a low compression smog motor 454 with about 200hp at the most, but when we got through with it it was a real runner for a 4200 pund car.....

The early Camaro and the TA are the only ones that would have been worth much....

My fondest "fun time" memories are actually with the truck...First engine I ever built, first piece of ass, first trip to jail, first time ever topping something out on dirt, actually Permian basins version of the salt flats, lot'sa good memories in that one.....:punk:

I've got an 02' 6.0 Crew Cab 2500HD now that I keep telling myself I'll never get rid of, I racked up 125,000 the first 7 years of owning it but in the last 3 years haven't put but 1500 miles on it. It's paid for, runs great and with a company vehicle I have no reason to ever purchase another vehicle, I'm hoping in about 50,000 years it might be worth something and even if it's not it's money in the bank by not having to "buy another tool" when the one I have gets the job done......

even if it's not it's money in the bank by not having to "buy another tool" when the one I have gets the job done......

That's exactly right! Some people just can't help themselves though. By the time i get out of the military at 26 years i should be debt free. Wife already has a degree and i am finishing mine up. Her car is almost paid for and mine is paid off.

Vehicles in general are an addictive hobby though! :punk:

I watch Mecum auctions on TV and get sick when I see some of the cars I had owned during my lifetime and junked them out, sold to car crushers and just simply gave them away.

Latest posts

Back