Random thoughts..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
A stator does not care how much current the bike uses. It will constantly deliver maximum output dependent on RPM.

A voltage regulator chnges this AC from the stator to charging voltage DC. The regulator senses the level of charge in the battery and directs the output either to the battery or to ground.

This is the theory behind a Shunt or MOSFET regulator. MOSFET works better and runs cooler due to the more efficent internal switching. However, they oth shunt the excess current to ground, causing excess load and heat in your stator. Failure will eventually follow.

A Series regulator controls the voltage in the same manner,but instead of shunting this current to ground, actually turns off the phases of the stator. This keeps the regulator and stator cooler, increasing efficency and lifespan...

I've done a bit of reading on this subject, and while anything is an improvement over the crappy stock unit in the early Gen1s, if you're gonna swap out to MOSFET unit, you'd be better off using a Series unit. They are exactly the same size as the MOSFET, and are a direct plug in replacement for those who have already done the MOSFET conversion. I've posted a source for good used SH775 regulators for about $40.00 shipped. I've bought 2 of these they both work great..

Call them, that's what I did. I wanted to be sure I was really getting a SH775. That's where I got the discount, too.

Back