rear brake piston

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellboy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
On Friday my rear brake quit working. pedal would bottom out but no braking.
On the bottom of the master cylinder there was some brake fluid leaking, just enough to get on my finger when I wiped it. Reservoir still had plenty of fluid.
I'm picking up the Master cylinder rebuild kit on Tuesday. My problem is that I thought I would change my pads as well and have taken the old ones out but cannot get the pistons to push back out to fit new ones. The whole system is still apart but they won't budge. Any ideas or some trick that I don't know about? I'm thinking that this was part of the original problem all along and not the Master Cylinder at all. Any input is welcomed.

Matt
P.S. It's an 1988 if it should matter, don't think so though.

Your pistons have corrosion on them which prevent your being-able to push them into the caliper to load your new pads.

I guarantee I can get them to move. The traditional way to get them moving is to use compressed air into the caliper hose hole (the threaded hole in the caliper where the hose attaches) while using something between your old pads to keep the calipers' pistons from moving so-far that one pops-out but the other doesn't. I usually use a square-shank screwdriver in-between the pads and then blast the compressed air into the hose threaded hole on the caliper body. A wide rubber tip on your air tool will help to ensure your air enters the caliper.

This will usually work to get both pistons loose so you can remove them and then clean the corrosion off the surfaces of the sides of the piston and the caliper body. As I said, often one will move, but one won't. More compressed air, while limiting their movement via the tool between the pads, allowing some movement but not to where one which is now free comes-out of its bore before the other does.

If one is still not free, this will do the trick. Use a grease gun. Yes, a grease gun. You have to install a screw into the caliper threaded hole where the hose attaches. You don't need to turn it down tight, there are enough threads that you can just run it down to where it makes light contact with the taper at the bottom of the hole. Do NOT tighten it! Use some teflon tape on the bolt to help seal the bolt in the threads. All you are doing is using the bolt as a plug.

Now, attach your grease gun to the brake bleeder while ensuring the bleeder is open, and start filling the space behind the pistons with grease. THe stuck piston will pop loose. I have never been defeated by a piston using this method. Of course, now you have to clean-out all traces of the grease to be-able to reassemble the caliper and pistons. I usually use mineral spirits and a parts brush to ensure all traces of grease are gone, and then a spray can of brake cleaner solvent to remove any trace of the mineral spirits. Yes, you have to split the caliper open, don't lose the o-ring for the passage between the caliper halves.

I normally will use a wire wheel on my bench grinder to remove the piston corrosion. If after doing this you find the piston has any pitting on the surface where the piston makes-contact with the square rubber o-ring in the caliper body, replace the piston. If you don't, your piston/caliper will eventually leak. This will ruin your brake pads.

To clean the crevices of the caliper, I use a Dremel tool. They have steel or brass bristle brushes in different shapes. I use a round one for cleaning the caliper groove of all-traces of corrosion, and a cup shape to clean the bottom of the piston hole of the caliper. Again, mineral spirits and then brake cleaner. Be sure to wear eye protection, and nitrile gloves will help save your skin.

If there is any pitting from corrosion on either the pistons or the caliper, my recommendation is to replace the affected component. Therre are guys on-here all the time selling stock calipers, and you should be able to find one in better shape, cheaply. Hopefully when you overhaul it you find it doesn't have the same pitting your did. You can buy new pistons, or a new caliper but I don't think the caliper is going to be cheap. I believe one of the front calipers can be used in the rear position, I forget which one but another member will chime-in.

Some people will say that you only need to replace a component with corrosion if the corrosion is where the square rubber o-ring is making contact w/either the piston or the square slot in the caliper half. Given the function of what you're working on, is this really someplace you want to 'save a few bucks?'

For re-assembly, use a bit of brake fluid on the rubber o-ring sealing the pistons and caliper body. You should be-able to move the pistons in & out w/only finger pressure, easily. Coat the between caliper halves small o-ring w/brake fluid, and ensure it's centered in its niche before re-connecting the caliper halves. Snug the screws evenly and torque to spec according to the shop manual.

As I said, if the compressed air doesn't do it, the grease gun will.

Wow! Fire Medic, thanks. I'm always grateful for other peoples time and information but you've gone above and beyond. I've got Tuesday off so guess I'll get the air compressor going and hopefully not the grease gun.

Matt

While I cannot beat FireMedics write up, my advice is just ask for a good caliper without any issues from someone on this Forum. I bet there are a dozen guys that will give you one for the cost of shipping. Put my name at the top of the list of potential donors.

Last edited:
Patmax, I like your thinking. I am one of those who likes to have a go at something first. Some is ego some is not wanting to admit defeat(same thing maybe) and probably most of all is I love to learn about things and how they work. I have a feeling that if I get these out that something is going to be unusable and I'll very soon be sending a request out. I'm in Australia but will happily pay all shipping plus a bit for the slight extra trouble for someone. I'll know on Tuesday.
Matt

Thanks again Fire-Medic. All is well with the brakes, I think. I got the pistons out with the compressor, cleaned them up and it's back together. I'm just waiting on my wife to get home with the cylinder rebuild kit and the new brake pads. With any luck it will be up and running tonight sometime.

Matt

The last 'difficult' caliper was my MI friend's CBR600F2. We tried it w/his air compressor, and they wouldn't budge. We went to a car shop and tried it w/their higher-psi, still 'no-dice.' Then I suggested the grease gun, and they came-out.

Glad you got your brake squared-away. Remember the rear cyl has a small and a large hole, just like the front masters, and any gunk blocking the small one will prevent your brake functioning correctly, and it could cause your pressure to not-release.

I once bought a pair of aftermarket pads and they were just a bit too-thick, and after installation, the brake dragged. I bled it 3X and tore it down 2X before I checked the shop manual for the thickness spec. A few seconds on my belt sander for the pad set and that solved it.

All back together and working well. Thanks again. I can't imagine trying to clean all that grease out of everything, yuk! I am using EBC pads because they didn't have OEM so I'll keep the thickness in mind if I get drag after a good ride on Saturday.

Matt

No I don't think you'll get brake drag w/EBC's as my supplier was some lesser-known outfit.

Cleaning the grease out is easy if you split the caliper. Mineral spirits & then some spray brake cleaner, wear Eye Protection!

Everything is great with the bike. Rode it to work yesterday. I'll keep the grease tip in mind for the future and other bikes, thanks. In the workshop manual it actually warns you not to ever split the caliper open, It did scare me just a little.

Matt

Back