Rear Cylinder Right side

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxRyan

Reaction score
I am thinking i have a carb issue with the rear right cylinder. It is running super rich and not firing completely, spark looks good but when the bike is running unburnt fuel is coming out from around the header at the cylinder. Is there something i should look at first.

Welcome to the Forum Max. There are many different things that can cause a single cylinder to run rich, float level , air/fuel screw, dirty carbs, etc.

Have you done a sync on them recently?

Just because your spark looks good does not mean it is. Put a new plug in (they are pretty cheap) and I would maybe try swapping the rear coils. You may have a higher rpm miss that could be one of many electrical issues, or you could have something wrong with your carbs. Do you notice this problem at certain rpms or speeds while on the road? Or can you feel it miss? There are other guys that are a lot more carb-savy than I am, but it seems like most of us with carb problems are from things plugging up our carb causing it to run lean... that is what makes me lean more towards a spark issue (could be wires, coil, ignition, plug). I try to avoid breaking into the carbs as much as possible, but they aren't too bad to play with either.
Did this problem just start? How many miles have you put on the bike? As godsend1 said, could be a needle/seat/float problem too. One way to check that is to make sure your carb bowls are full of fuel, take off the main fuel line and blow into it and then check to see if fuel is leaking out anywhere.
Good luck!
Jeff

Thanks guys for the suggestions, just got the bike and it is still winter up here so i havent really had a chance to ride it yet. I have a couple extra coils and am trying to locate a carb sync tool right now. I unfortunately dont know what kind of condition the carbs are in, if they are dirty or not. The guy i bought from said they will need to be jetted because of the exhaust but he did not do it. The problem is pretty much right from idle, if the bike is reved up a lot of unburnt gas escapes around the header on that one cylinder only. If you remove the lead off the coil do you need to recut the end ?

Check the end of the lead, if it's corroded snip a little off the end.

Back