Rear End Noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veebooster

Reaction score
My 02 developed a creaking/clicking noise while at Thunder this year. I only noticed it while pushing the bike around the lot. More pronounced while backing it up. It was definitely coming from the pumpkin area. There were no performance issues, the bike ran fine and coasted fine. I had many Vmax gurus have a listen with no definite diagnosis. I guess the general consensus was that I had a wheel bearing going out. Well I made it the 300+ miles home with no problems. Checked the bearings and they seemed fine. Well now I've had a chance to dig deeper into this mystery and found the problem. So I'll post this for anyone else who may have this. It'll also provide info on how to avoid it!

This spring I installed a braced swingarm. What I didn't know and didn't do was properly align the pumpkin/axle/wheel during the install. For anyone who has removed their pumpkin or swingarm they should properly allign it to avoid any pressure on the pumpkin area upon reassembly. How? Keep the acorn nuts on your pumpkin loose. Install the axle without the wheel. Torque down the clamp on the brake side then torque down the acorn nuts. Take it apart and then put it back together with the wheel. I wouldn't use the axle torque of 110 ftlbs given by Yamaha either. I used 40 as many others have done.
I've attached a Service bulletin that describes this process. It was issued for a Venture but is applicable to the Vmax. (thks to Venture groups!) Also pay attention to the section on the cush drive. I completed that part as well and really do believe that the "creaking " noise was the cush drive while the clicking was the misalignment.

Put her through 100 km of hard testing yesterday....I'm good to go!!:punk:
Thks to all at the great guys at Thunder that helped out with suggestions etc.

Dale #2592

Attachments

• Creaking rear wheel.pdf
    294.7 KB · Views: 58
Nice writeup, documentation and resolution to one of those irritating problems that's hard to find a answer to.
Good on ya Dale!:clapping:

I had the same problem after a local shop took 5 hours to replace my rear tire. (had the diff completely off)

The diff ate itself 2 weeks later.

Nope, but I found a used one for a good price from a local VMOA member

Bike has been down since last May but should be back up and running this weekend :punk:

why not!??!

They said it was a coincidence that it happened right after they worked on it (for 5 hours... for a tire change). They took it off and on the rack about 6 times during that time.

I didn't push the issue as I didn't want them working on it anymore after that.

The sad thing is they were an "official Yamaha repair facility" :ummm: Luckily I found a local VMOA member who works on Max's freelance. He has helped me out tremendously.

My 02 developed a creaking/clicking noise while at Thunder this year. I only noticed it while pushing the bike around the lot. More pronounced while backing it up. It was definitely coming from the pumpkin area. There were no performance issues, the bike ran fine and coasted fine. I had many Vmax gurus have a listen with no definite diagnosis. I guess the general consensus was that I had a wheel bearing going out. Well I made it the 300+ miles home with no problems. Checked the bearings and they seemed fine. Well now I've had a chance to dig deeper into this mystery and found the problem. So I'll post this for anyone else who may have this. It'll also provide info on how to avoid it!

This spring I installed a braced swingarm. What I didn't know and didn't do was properly align the pumpkin/axle/wheel during the install. For anyone who has removed their pumpkin or swingarm they should properly allign it to avoid any pressure on the pumpkin area upon reassembly. How? Keep the acorn nuts on your pumpkin loose. Install the axle without the wheel. Torque down the clamp on the brake side then torque down the acorn nuts. Take it apart and then put it back together with the wheel. I wouldn't use the axle torque of 110 ftlbs given by Yamaha either. I used 40 as many others have done.
I've attached a Service bulletin that describes this process. It was issued for a Venture but is applicable to the Vmax. (thks to Venture groups!) Also pay attention to the section on the cush drive. I completed that part as well and really do believe that the "creaking " noise was the cush drive while the clicking was the misalignment.

Dale #2592
GREAT INFO & TECH TIP ! THANKS !:punk:

Dale #2592
Is there a way to do it with the wheel on ? I have a RC wheel 18x5.5 and a 180 tire. And the only way to get the wheel on the bike is to remove the diff.:confused2:

There was another VMOA member who had the same problem as I did but he had a 200 tire with an aftermarket wheel. His had been clicking for quite some time but wasn't as severe as mine. He also has to remove the pumpkin when he changes tires.
I haven't heard back from him but he was going to try doing an alignment something like this: axle/wheel/pumpkin in, loosely fit pumpkin, tighten the pinch end, torque pumpkin, loosen pinch end then torque axle and retighten the pinch end.
I'm sure that you can do it in some fashion. You may have to try it a few times.

I do know that after I put in Ricors in my front end I went testing my bike over some pretty rough pavement. When I got back home I could ever so slightly hear that click again. Must have loosened something in the rear end because I redid it all and it's been good ever since.

Dale #2592

Back