Rear gear whine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billydroveit

Reaction score
ok so i took my Max for it's first ride yesterday after doing all the work. By the way the furber fix is the bomb...no wobble at all @45 even with one hand on the bars.

This is the first one i've ever rode/owned. When i got to 40 untill 44/'45 it had a gear noise coming from teh drive. Enough where it was noticeable and ulmost annoying. I'm going to try and change the fluid adn see what happens with some mobile one. The quesions now is, is this common? What weight and how much oil goes in it. And i assume it's just pull the bottom bolt, drain, install. Remove top bolt and fill?

Thanks guys, this thing is alot better ride than i anticipated based on reading here about the wobble issues. I ulmost hate to sell it.

my wobble only happens if i smack the bars or hit a bump, with both hands off. i guess i'm a bit of a perfectionist... anyways

yup thats about it for the oil chnage. turn the wheel a bit to make sure all the oil drains. oil goes to the TOP of the threads. so another drop and it would come spilling out. do it slowly add a little walk away kind of thing.

mobil 1 synthetic hypoid gear oil, i think 75W-90 is what i use.

did u have the pumpkin off the swingarm? if so there's a thread out here discussing how to seat properly.

ok so i took my Max for it's first ride yesterday after doing all the work. By the way the furber fix is the bomb...no wobble at all @45 even with one hand on the bars.

This is the first one i've ever rode/owned. When i got to 40 untill 44/'45 it had a gear noise coming from teh drive. Enough where it was noticeable and ulmost annoying. I'm going to try and change the fluid adn see what happens with some mobile one. The quesions now is, is this common? What weight and how much oil goes in it. And i assume it's just pull the bottom bolt, drain, install. Remove top bolt and fill?

Thanks guys, this thing is alot better ride than i anticipated based on reading here about the wobble issues. I ulmost hate to sell it.
Yes, it's that easy to change the rear diff fluid. By all means if you don't know tha age of the oil in there change it, using the oil that Garrett suggested, then test again. Make sure youraxle nut is torqued down properly. The consensus here is that the service manual torque spec is a bit too much and most will recommend 45-50 ft/lbs to do the job.
I hope this fixes your issue.

my wobble only happens if i smack the bars or hit a bump, with both hands off. i guess i'm a bit of a perfectionist... anyways

yup thats about it for the oil chnage. turn the wheel a bit to make sure all the oil drains. oil goes to the TOP of the threads. so another drop and it would come spilling out. do it slowly add a little walk away kind of thing.

mobil 1 synthetic hypoid gear oil, i think 75W-90 is what i use.

did u have the pumpkin off the swingarm? if so there's a thread out here discussing how to seat properly.

How much goes in there, i have a little over a half quart in the garage?

No I didn't have the pumpkin off, and i don't know the whole history of the bike.

Should i loosen the nut and retorque?

It's just a howl that is kind of annoying, but everything seems smooth, i thought maybe this was an inherent issue like the wobble.

How much goes in there, i have a little over a half quart in the garage?

No I didn't have the pumpkin off, and i don't know the whole history of the bike.

Should i loosen the nut and retorque?

It's just a howl that is kind of annoying, but everything seems smooth, i thought maybe this was an inherent issue like the wobble.

i would check the pumpkin to specs if the noise is still there after oil change. also take a look at the drain plug as it has a mag core.

like think 180 - 250 mL. not much at all. i think i was usually a touch over 200. its minimal.

yea, whether u have the castle nut or the regular nut both are up near 100 ft lbs, you could always see if the yama-spec fixes your issue.

definitely not a 'vmax' thing, how loud is it? is it once per rotation? can you tell?

can you brace the bike real well, put it on the CS and run the rear wheel up to 40/45 to see if you can reproduce on the ground, would make a lot easier troubleshooting...

changing the oil is def gonna help, but i wouldn't hold ur breath that new oil will stop a clicking noise.

also see if the clicking does it on the ground just rolling the bike reverse.

That seems to be a common issue on shaft drive bikes. My Max doesn't do it, but my old GS450 had a "whirr" from the back between like 25-30mph only. My friend's Shadow does that around 40mph.

Try new gear oil and see if that helps. If not, I doubt it's anything to worry about.

i would check the pumpkin to specs if the noise is still there after oil change. also take a look at the drain plug as it has a mag core.

like think 180 - 250 mL. not much at all. i think i was usually a touch over 200. its minimal.

yea, whether u have the castle nut or the regular nut both are up near 100 ft lbs, you could always see if the yama-spec fixes your issue.

definitely not a 'vmax' thing, how loud is it? is it once per rotation? can you tell?

can you brace the bike real well, put it on the CS and run the rear wheel up to 40/45 to see if you can reproduce on the ground, would make a lot easier troubleshooting...

changing the oil is def gonna help, but i wouldn't hold ur breath that new oil will stop a clicking noise.

also see if the clicking does it on the ground just rolling the bike reverse.

It's not a clicking sound. It's a continous whirrrr! at 41-44 It got a little better after an oil change. There wasn't any real signs of damage on the magnet, just the normal sludge type of stuff stuck to the magnet.

Is there a way to adjust the rear gear interface? Like adjusting the backlash of a car rear gears? Backlash seems a bit excessive, but i don't know the spec or procedure to check it. ANy input beyond this would be helpful. The bike is going for sale this week.

I finally went for a ride again this weekend and noticed my 05 has more whine then I remember. To me it's normal and more noticeable with the overdrive. It only does it on decell. Might have changed a bit on the tolerance when we had the gears undercut and increased the noise a bit.

Sean

Holy Chiquita Batman, it a banana peal in the rear end!!!:biglaugh:
You could be hearing the gears in the gen cover whining. I hear mine all the time...when Ive had enough I scream SHUT UP AND GO TO YOUR ROOM!

After reading this, I lessened the torque on my rear axle a bit (about 50ftlbs now) it's a little quieter. I plan to totally fix it by removing my muffler.

Is the whine accompanied by a noticeable vibration when you decelerate?

Back