Rear Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telelinkken

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me why the rear tire on these old bikes are bias ply?
And can I mount a radial on this wheel??

Japanese bikes of this size didn't run radial tires when the VMax was released. There was one possible exception (below).

The Honda VF1000R which had come out before probably anything else in the literbike category was supposed to be capable of using radials, and Pirelli was supposed to make them for this motorcycle. The VF1000R was a rare motorcycle in the USA and it was released first in Europe in all its gear-drive cams glory.

It was Michelin who first offered a set of several sizes (3) in the rear and a couple sizes in the front, for 1987. The 1987 Yamaha FZR1000 was the first bike to offer a wide-spar aluminum frame, and radials as standard. The other unique feature of the '87 FZR1000 was the 5-valve Genesis engine.I know, I've had one since 1988. It was only a couple of years before that Yamaha (1985) when 'Fast' Freddie Spencer won both the 250 and the 500cc Grand Prix World Championship roadracing titles on radial tires. He used Michelins, and Michelin capitalized on this never-before, never again feat to bring a radial tire to market.

If you search on here you can find info on radial tires and wheels for them. There are a few aftermarket manufacturers who made them, like Dymag, Carrozzeria and RC Engineering. The European market Yamaha Diversion wheel is supposed to be capable of being fitted to a VMax, but those are about as common here as the Muntz Jet automobile.

Last edited:
Thanks Brother !
I actually ride a VFR when I RIDE, the Vmax is just for playing around with straight line speed!!
I am totally into the gear driven cams!!!

The thing about bikes, there are so many different types. Across the years, different bikes: Hogs, sportbikes, commuters, dual-sport, now adventure bikes, pure off-roaders, motocross, choppers, and all the types of competition, from life at the drag strip, to motocross, hare scramblers, flat track, and all the different displacements for roadracing, trials, sidecars, sidecar motocross(!), choose something you like, and try it out.

My first 'high-performance' road bike was an H1 two-stroke triple Kawasaki. I bought it from the original owner, and had it for a few years, and then moved to a DOHC Honda CB750F, beautiful lines, good performance, no trouble mechanically, but when a 911 beat me down the interstate, I had to get something 'better.' That was the first of several KZ1000's, which I think has one of the best 'voices' in all of motorcycling, when it's got a 4/1, and whatever you decide to do to it to make it faster, speed costs money... . I've had my first VMX12 for 30 years, and more since then. It's a great activity, but you have to be prepared for what could happen. After a career on fire-rescue, and seeing what can happen, I know I've been lucky. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst.

Wow, incredible words of wisdom!
Thanks for that, my friend!!
I am currently trying to find a 1969 for my collection. I was originally thinking H.D. but that's not really my thing.
My first really fast street bike was an old ZX9, it was fun so I started thinking about the "Widow Maker" but they are really hard to find in good shape and if you do they want a mint for it. I am REALLY a Honda guy so a CB 750 is making a lot of sense, just need to find the right one that is within my budget. I got a '76 550 "rescue" to work on and get familiar with, it is coming along nicely and is fun. I collect '69 cool stuff because first of all, lets face it, it IS cool and most things of that year are one of a kind. I have a "69 Firebird a 1969 Century Resorter and I myself am a 69 model!!!

Oh yeah the second wife was also a 69.........

SOHC CB750's are out there still, but the 'K-0' models are expensive and hard to come-by. To ease the $ burden of trying to get a 1969, I think you should base it more on the model to which you are attracted, and not fixate on that year. I have some collectible Hondas from the SOHC era, awaiting their turn to be done.

H-D's from the EVO years are plentiful, and if they're maintained, they can be durable, and last. Here in So FL, there are probably hundreds of Twin-Cam H-D's on the market and if they want to move-up to a Milwaukee 8, the Twin Cams go cheaply. They first came to market in 1999 and you can find low miles bikes for < $10K, all day long. Evo's might be half of that, for something running, though of course being at least 24 years old, they probably will have more miles.

Going from an AMF Shovelhead to an Evo is a big step in the right direction, if H-D's are of interest, and you won't have much $ tied-up, assuming you're buying one to ride. The Shovelheads are now finding market appreciation, like the Knuckleheads and Panheads saw. But people who want a vintage H-D are turning to the Shovelheads because they're less-expensive than their predecessors. My Daytona Bike Week riding buddy has a 1980 80 cu in Low Rider he bought new, and he's turned down multiple offers of $10K for it.

Or get one of those 1800cc Suzukis, the C90 V-twins, I think they're called the Boss edition. One of my friends has had two, and they're fast and reliable. Buy new for the price of a slightly-used H-D Twin Cam. They will run and hide from any stock Evo H-D.

You have some good toys, enjoy them safely.

h2e badazz bike.had one installed a dunstall 800cc big bore kit milled heads ported by dunstall exspansion chambers, flat slide carbs oversize,had a power band like a yz.would wheelie through 3rd gear.it would eat 900 z1 for breakfast in the 1/4 then out came the water pumpers.ninjas etc. of course my favorite is the gsxr but still love my vmax.bought new in 1991.also have a 2005.

Back