Rebuilding carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pissed off Veteran

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding carbs for my 88 vmax. I purchased the K&L 18-2879 carb kit. I tried replacing float needle and seat. The new needle valve seat pushes right out with a little pressure after I install it with a punch making sure it's seated. So I break out the micrometer and measure the width of old seat which was 9.57 then I measured new seat it was 9.47 as anybody else encountered this problem?

I'm rebuilding carbs for my 88 vmax. I purchased the K&L 18-2879 carb kit. I tried replacing float needle and seat. The new needle valve seat pushes right out with a little pressure after I install it with a punch making sure it's seated. So I break out the micrometer and measure the width of old seat which was 9.57 then I measured new seat it was 9.47 as anybody else encountered this problem?
I have never seen a replacement seat that far out of spec....however every one I have measured is .002" - .004" undersize, and I've measured hundreds of them. Polish up your OEM ones and put them back in. As you mentioned, the replacement seats will push back out with very little pressure. I won't use them.

I ordered a new one from Partzilla. Punching them in and out a few time kinda mushroomed where needle goes. The ones from partzilla should be good, correct?

Yes, believe it was part#36 from carb schematic Medic. The o-rings and gaskets fit good from K&L. Still have 3 carbs to go yet. OH almost forgot the rubber caps on jet block, they just fall out, sitting here laughing to myself.

Last edited:
Back