Rectifier

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
I went for a 5 mile ride today and as soon as I pulled in the garage I have a 12volt female socket ,hard wired to the Battery that I checked and got 13volts so I put my hand on the rectifier holy :worthy:this thing could almost burn your hand .I waited about two minutes, touched it again and it was slightly warm to the touch.My ? is are these things supposed to get this hot?, and how do you get it off?.I have one wire by itself held on by a phillips screw and I cant get at it due to the Driveshaft is in the way.

You have to take the foot peg holder off to get to it.....

Attachments

• Rectifier2.jpg
    Rectifier2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 34
They do get very hot. The later units have cooling fins. Disassemble for access to that screw is like alorio1 mentioned.

The "smooth black box" style go get quite hot, which is also why they suck....a lot of energy is wasted as heat, and heat inevitably kills electronics.

The mosfet style get slightly warm to the touch but that's it.

You might want to use an impact screwdriver to get the bolts out. Mine were quite difficult to remove.

The "smooth black box" style go get quite hot, which is also why they suck....a lot of energy is wasted as heat, and heat inevitably kills electronics.

You might want to use an impact screwdriver to get the bolts out. Mine were quite difficult to remove.

Wow you arent kidding ,It took my biggest phillips screwdriver to get these off.I sanded everything clean today my stater really cranks even at 12.2 volts cold.

I fried my regulator yesterday, it was a spurious replacement that water somehow got inside between the board and cooling fins
10032348.jpg

The new replacement I've put in is a "TourMax" regulator that matches the stock design, I've moved it up under the seat away from water and road debris but now I'm worrying about heat disipation (and it catching fire between my legs)
10012450.jpg

Any idea if I can tell if it's a mosfet style or where I could get my hands on one?

"smooth black box" ones are the shunt style (that get really hot).

Finned metal ones are MOSFETs. They get slightly warm. Mine is located under the seat where the rear coils used to be, so it doesn't get much airflow at all. It gets a tad warm after riding for a while but it's been there for over a year now and no issues.

If it's a MOSFET, I wouldn't worry about location. In fact, mine probably gets a hot breeze blowing over the top of the motor.....it's fine.

Back