Redbone better check the heat system

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I just saw that the Upper Peninsula ("the UP") is getting a big load of snow, which is also impacting the state of MN as-well.

The report:
Snowfall totals from tonight through Sunday will pile up to 8" to 12" for the higher elevations of the Keweenaw Peninsula, Ontonagon and Gogebic Counties. The snow will become heavy this evening and stick to the roads.Lower elevations and shoreline areas will have less snow due to warmer temperatures. The immediate shoreline areas will only get 1" to 2" of snow. Just away from the water much of the rest of the western U.P. will have 2" to 4" of snow.

There is another heavy early season snow right behind this for the U.P. Another colder than normal blast of air will be pulled south out of Canada early next week. The cold air with next week's storm will be five degrees colder than this weekend. That means another round of heavy lake effect snow Tuesday and Wednesday.

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/10/up_to_foot_of_snow_to_blanket.html#incart_most-readnews

Here in Florida we're experiencing a moderation in daytime temps, so this is good riding weather. As the tourists return, we have to be prepared for erratic driving by lost tourists as well as the aggressive behavior of the locals who fail to allow motorcyclists a margin of safety.

Presently we have a tropical storm named Phillippe, which yesterday dumped several inches of rain on us. I'll take it, I just got my lawn re-sodded, and added contouring before the storm came to eliminate a pooling of runoff water which made a departure from a parked vehicle a soggy affair, previously.

Those of you in the region where the early snowstorm is landing, be sure you're ready for life without the power grid for awhile. I experienced the Great NE USA Power Blackout of 1965. I was at high school wrestling practice, and when all the lights went out, you could see all the way to Lake Ontario, and the lights of the ships there. Luckily, the outage was less than 24 hours, but it sure was dark on the way home. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-great-northeast-blackout

Furnace and humidifier system checked out, fresh filters (1" and 5" Hepa), 2 10# bags of salt in bin and shovel/ push broom in place on the porch. Snow tires to be put on the snow rims, I picked up some like new condition factory rims which I will mount the Michelin Latritude tours on for summer use. There was a little of the late fall snow falling this morning but it won't stick, it won't until the middle of December (normally) that the ground will be cold enough to let the snow stick. Even if we got 3 feet of snow there would be little impact as local municipalities are prepped for the winter, salt/ sand in the domes ready to go. Even if snow does fall it does not slow down schools, business or everyday normal life.
For me it does provide exercise to keep the 10-15 feet of sidewalk shoveled/ salted out to the driveway. My drive way would be a lot of work to shovel at ~120feet but I have a buddy that keeps it clean with his heated enclosed cab Kubota front mounted snow blower, it takes him 10 min to clean and maybe 15 min if there was a heavy snowfall. He even blows the snow out in front of the mailboxes so no sweat there either. I may have to shovel the roof one time a year but the young men in the neighborhood will do it for $20. The seasons are predictable and rarely extreme (in the destructive sense), in fact are quite enjoyable if you put a little effort into it. Power outages for multiple days have not been a issue in quite some time. We have a power generation station 20 miles away that provides about 1/3 of our cooperatives power and also has a wind farm as well.
http://cloverland.com/hydro-electricity/

I love this time of year, my favorite in fact! I do enjoy the warmth of spring/ summer/ early fall seasons riding motorcycles but the changing of the seasons allow for different pursuits to enjoy. The fall season is a colorful and eventful time of the year. It is an anticipation of upcoming age old traditions of hunting and change over to cooler temps that has the less hardy fleeing to warmer temps. This also a season of the Great Lakes churning, wind blowing and rain falling which has Great Lakes freighters seeking the shelter of great rivers, her many leeward bays and harbors from the inland seas fury. There are a few hardy adventurous souls that take to the furious waters to take their chances on catching the perfect wave.(See video below)
While the tourist on their 4 wheelers are gone but the woods are not empty, the countless two tracks and timber trails have the locals go about their normal hunting small game, bear, bow hunting deer and some just out to enjoy the fall colors. It is a time of close friends and families to come together to put the harvest to storage and partake of its bounty.
In a few months the beautiful white scenery will surround us in all of its splendor which after a while will have many snowmobilers who travel here to enjoy a weekend of perfectly groomed trails that will allow them not to take the same trail during a months’ worth of riding. The snow that drives so many away is not a negative for me or most of the inhabitants of snowy regions; it is just another season to enjoy. Snowmobiling, ice fishing, snowshoeing, dog sledding, cross country skiing, ice skating, a visit the Tahquamenon falls (lower and upper) and of course snaring/ hunting those rascally rabbits. Cross country skiing is becoming a popular sport it seems, there are more than 20 trails in my local area, some are lit for city dwellers that need the light. I am part of a group developing a walking/ bicycle and in areas CC skiing trail that covers more than 10 miles from a state park to a lighthouse 8 miles away. This trail will follow the lakeshore drive for the most part but about 2 miles before it get to the lighthouse it heads into the woods (near my home) then into the national forest past 2 small lakes travelling through a USFS campground then back through the N.F. to cross Lakeshore drive to the lighthouse. This should be a nice trail to CC ski after work for about a 3 mile round trip through a quiet pristine forest.
LINK: Riding the waves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHJEWlOwOWk

Back