Registration of Vmax in Montreal imported from EU?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voltage

Reaction score
Hi there,
After one month I am moving to live in Montreal ( presently I am in Bulgaria )
I am curious, what is the situation with the registration of my bike there, because I want to take it with me.
I heard that it have to be with catalyst on the exhaust.
My bike does not have catalyst so far.Since i brought it from US I guess there wont be inconvenience about the registration .
Can somebody help me with some info .
Other way is to sell it but I don't want to ...

best regards

hey man, im also from montreal so for sure we gonna go for a ride.
so you did get it from the states right? you should have no issues at all, i bought my silver 97 from the states and its a straight forward transfer into canada. you will just need to import it and go check out RIV.ca they will have all the info you need. once you show them the paper work on the bike from bulgaria, it is reg there right? if they can give you a export stamp on the registration or title paper work this will make it way easier.
then customes here will stamp it give you a import number, then you go to a inspectin place, its a different type they do this just for imported vehicles, any canadian tire will do this, they will check it complies with canada, the only thing you will need is a spedo with KM on it, it should have it anyways(this is done for free and they send paper work to RIV right away for you). then with that you, along with a regular inspection(about 80 bucks i think) can register the bike then its all smiles and grins.

its a real easy process done it a few times now no hassles just have all your ducks in a row. where about and when are you moving to MTL?

Hi "tugla"
Thank you for that quick response.
Yes the bike is imported in Bulgaria from United States.I brought it from the firs owner there ( I am second owner )
Yes all the papers here are perfect, I am going to prepare them according RIC.ca rules.
The date of my arrival in Montreal is 9 August ,
Now I am looking for a nice box and a good offer for the transportation .
I am shore that I will have further question and hope to find an answers with your help

best regards

we're all looking for a nice box man!

we're all looking for a nice box man!

thats what she said :punk:

Hi "tugla"
Thank you for that quick response.
Yes the bike is imported in Bulgaria from United States.I brought it from the firs owner there ( I am second owner )
Yes all the papers here are perfect, I am going to prepare them according RIC.ca rules.
The date of my arrival in Montreal is 9 August ,
Now I am looking for a nice box and a good offer for the transportation .
I am shore that I will have further question and hope to find an answers with your help

ya man no problem, you will have to come to the international pizza run this year and meet up with a bunch of other vmax nuts. hahahhaha i cant tell you about them you will have to just meet them and make up your own decision about them :rofl_200:
best regards

I found a nice one but rarely get to pack anything in it :ummm: :biglaugh:

D'oh!!!!

That's the answer from RIV.ca:

Good day Nikola
Thank-you for your recent inquiry about importing a vehicle into Canada that was manufactured to different standards than the US or Canadian standards.
In respect to vehicles not manufactured to US or Canadian standards Transport Canada’s website reads as follows:
“VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES
The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.
All vehicles (except buses) that are fifteen years or older are exempt from the Registrar of Imported vehicles, regardless of where they are imported from. However, you should contact CBSA (Canada Border Service Agency) as they may have additional requirements before you import this vehicle. The CBSA can be contacted at 1-800-461-9999 within Canada or 506-636-5064 outside of Canada.”
In order to import a US specification vehicle into Canada it must be cited as admissible on Transport Canada's List of Admissible Vehicles from the United States, and bear a Statement of Compliance label affixed by the Original Equipment Manufacturer stating that "the vehicle as manufactured to comply with all US federal emission, bumper and safety standards on the date of manufacture". Failing that, we will accept a letter from the manufacturer stating the same. Other information contained on the label/letter would also include the Vehicle Identification Number, make, model, date of manufacture, gross vehicle weight ratings and axle weight ratings.
Admissible vehicles, manufactured to US standards on the date of manufacture and complying with the above information are processed through the RIV program regardless of their country of origin. However, since this vehicle has been or will be purchased froma country other than Canada or the US, it is likely that it has been manufactured to that country’s standards. In this case please view Transport Canada’s website at http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/other-than/index.htm to determine if the vehicles are admissible for importation to Canada.
If you have any further questions, please contact our office at 1-888-848-8240.
Sincerely,

I think that they didn't understand that the bike is for US market and after that imported in Bulgaria .
How ever I am concern about the tuneup that I made, actually the bike is much much better like a performance now but is not in the original look so will that be a problem .
What do you think about it ?

Regards

PS. Looking forward to meet more Max enthusiast :)

do you still have a copy of the US export paper work when you took it there??? if not call them and ask them what else they need and explain to them the bike was exported out of the US and you took it to Bulgaria and now would like to bring it here(CDN) it should have a sticker on the frame with it complying to US standards, i know on the cdn bikes its on the lower frame on the right with cdn flag, i for get on my US bike, think only on the steering neck. anyways you should have no issues, dont bother telling them about the tune up or mods to the bike Actually DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT. none of them will know unless you tell them so DONT.

just bring export papers from US and Bulgaria if you got them. you shipping it by boat? i know by road you send paperwork ahead you should find the info on the site. i would call the port customs in montreal to make sure you have all the papers they want for insp.

edit: when you moving here??? what mods to the bike you got? have any pics to post

hey man awesome looking bike looks killer :punk::punk:
where abouts are you moving to in montreal?? plan for a trip to buffalo around end of sept or beginning of oct for the 2nd annual pizza run......but not pizza this time:ummm: there is a thread on it.

Hi, for the beginning me and my wife will be at Saint Hubert , we will stay to a friends till I found a nice Garage or two with a house :rofl_200: but I am not shore that will be able so soon to make trips just because I don't know yet when will arrive the bike. But will be on the Canadian roads from the first time I get a chance :)

Hi, for the beginning me and my wife will be at Saint Hubert , we will stay to a friends till I found a nice Garage or two with a house :rofl_200: but I am not shore that will be able so soon to make trips just because I don't know yet when will arrive the bike. But will be on the Canadian roads from the first time I get a chance :)

that is the second most important feature isnt it, a place to sleep :rofl_200: cool man well when ever you get your max here let me know. how is the import stuff going, are you making head way on it? If you need a hand with anything let me know, i'll see what i can do.

Well I find a transport solution, now I have to make a cage where to put the bike .Was thinking to build a wooden box with metal frame but with the wood have some issues about exporting it , have to treat it for insects and micro organisms and to go to some commission to give me some document of approval otherwise in Canada will have troubles with the customs without that document so will make a cage from metal only and will ship it A.S.A.P.
It have to arrive at the beginning of September . That weekend hope to build the cage and if so , next week will try to send it .

Well I find a transport solution, now I have to make a cage where to put the bike .Was thinking to build a wooden box with metal frame but with the wood have some issues about exporting it , have to treat it for insects and micro organisms and to go to some commission to give me some document of approval otherwise in Canada will have troubles with the customs without that document so will make a cage from metal only and will ship it A.S.A.P.
It have to arrive at the beginning of September . That weekend hope to build the cage and if so , next week will try to send it .

My bike came to me imported from USA without any cage or any other package.
Evrything was fine.

About the cage , the bike will be shipped with other stuff ( not mine) on a huge container by boat and because I want to receive it exactly the way I left it here that is why I am going to make a cage, just for safety .

But I've got a problem, some stupid asshole from Bulgarian customs has wrote a wrong letter for the engine number when the bike was imported in Bulgaria.
My engine number is 2WE061698 and the punk wrote ZWE061698 and after that all of the rest registration papers here are with that wrong number .
My question is will that cost me trouble in Canada.
I guess it will but I am not shore how to fix it.
At first time I am planing to ride it with Bulgarian registration and after 6 months to register it in Canada and get Canadian plates.
Any one has some issues of that type ?
I guess that only Bulgarian customs are so stupid to wrote a wrong letter on the engine.
Today I was in Bulgarian customs requesting a copy of the papers that support the bike during import process and now I am waiting 5 days to see will those idiots do some work after all.

hey man, well its almost obvious that its like a type mistake, z and 2 are soo close. not sure how it works there but you should be able to get a officer of the law to certify that it is a 2, he looks at the bike see's the original serial number and that your registration is a typo, or maybe the registration bureau can also certify it was a mistake.

as for a crate ya for sure you want to package it up. ive had friends ship bikes back and forth to europe and africa and they used wood crates so not sure where you heard about getting a certified non insect wood? not saying your wrong ive never heard that but it makes sense. make sure its tied down well, cant jump up and down besides front to back, ships some times move around lots and also when they move the containers incase it gets tipped a bit you dont want it to move.
We built a crate out of wood one to ship two bikes to germany, we also wrapped them in shrink wrap and then greased them up, then got a two part expansion foam, like insulation stuff. so then poured it around the bikesm it expanded to about 2/3 high and totally safe guarded the bike form damage and movement. closed up the box and voila. the grease is to help slip the bikes out and plastic wrap protects them from expansion foam.

Good News :) Today i fix the issue with the engine number in our registration bureau so have no problems with that any more. :)
And I start to build that cage, today after work will continue working , I've decided to use aluminum rectangle profile pipes. Very light as a final weight of construction and strong enough to hold everything in it .Also decide not to use belts but make custom brackets that will hold the bike on several places ( bolt on to the frame ) . soon will show up some pics of that.

About that insect treatment of the wood I guess that it is because it is over seas and it comes to Canada from Bulgaria. I am shore that if it was from Canada to Bulgaria there will be no question at all.

About the cage , the bike will be shipped with other stuff ( not mine) on a huge container by boat and because I want to receive it exactly the way I left it here that is why I am going to make a cage, just for safety .

But I've got a problem, some stupid asshole from Bulgarian customs has wrote a wrong letter for the engine number when the bike was imported in Bulgaria.
My engine number is 2WE061698 and the punk wrote ZWE061698 and after that all of the rest registration papers here are with that wrong number .
My question is will that cost me trouble in Canada.
I guess it will but I am not shore how to fix it.
At first time I am planing to ride it with Bulgarian registration and after 6 months to register it in Canada and get Canadian plates.
Any one has some issues of that type ?
I guess that only Bulgarian customs are so stupid to wrote a wrong letter on the engine.
Today I was in Bulgarian customs requesting a copy of the papers that support the bike during import process and now I am waiting 5 days to see will those idiots do some work after all.

Jeez You guys still have engine numbers placed on the vehicles ID :surprise:

Im must say that I was bit happier when they removed that ridiciouls law couple years ago. Engine is an replacment part now as it supouse to be.

Yes .
That Engine number and the rest of the useless info is on the "big" card ( usually it stays somewhere in the closed )
On the small one that should be in my pocket till I am riding have just my names, VIN and the registration .
How ever I do not want to have any issues because of some stupid mistakes so that is why I spend half a day in the bureau to fix their mistake and pay for that as well :bang head:
For example 3 more of my V-max friend here in BG. have the same issue with that 2-Z in the number.
Actually nobody is going to make a problem for that here, but in Canada .. i don't know - but wish all of my papers to be correct :th_peace:

Back