Removing the discs on supertrapps?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppop

Reaction score
I have 8 disc per side with a closed end cap.Would it change anything if i removed the discs and cap?Looking for a lil more tone or a deeper sound.While leaving the main baffle in place.Dont want to hurt power,Or to start retuning carbs.Will it hurt anything?Plugs are running grey.Getting around 40 mpg.Yes no need a lil input:ummm:

customized creations has a youtube video showing comparisons. No discs/cap is louder/richer than 8 discs.

Supertrapps with an Open End Cap are like running 10-12 Discs with a Closed Cap, so it will richen you up a bit.
I (and many others) run mine with an Open Cap and Stock Jetting without any problems.
So if anything you might have to adjust your A/F Screws but that would be the only change you would possibly need to make.

Check this out: http://www.supertrapp.com/images/pdfs/003-0171.pdf
Talks about tuning Supertrapps on a Vmax.
Basically, running no discs or more than 8 discs on a stock Vmax will make the bike louder but decrease low end while increasing top end. I noticed this on mine, with 12 discs per side I thought I was riding a Virago. After some experimentation I'm happy with 7 discs per side now. I wouldn't want to run no discs because I love the low-end grunt the Vmax has, 0-80 or 100 is where it's at in my opinion.

Running Open Caps didn't make any noticable difference in the Low End for me.
I believe that's due to the Restictive Stock Headers.
I can still launch like a Mad Man (which I tend to do too much) and 1st Gear Wheelies are way too easy.
I did have to play with my A/F screws until I was happy with the Idle and got rid of some Decel Popping though.

I got some endcaps that have 3 holes in them that I am taking off in a couple days. You are welcome to them, just ship charge.

So Ive been reading a lot on here about the supertrapp's and so I bought a set in good used condition, they came with 7 discs and closed end caps, I installed all of them, sound was pretty good until cruising at highway speeds with hot engine, seems like it runs way to rich, lost fair amount of power, unquestionably. So I started to remove discs.... down to 4 per side, its quieter but no more power gained back and still kinda sounds like its farting when accelerating. Took all the traps out and ran her opened up, ran a lot worse even, which was kinda expected, but tried it anyways. I bought this bike used but was all stock and has always ran fine with stock mufflers. Do I really need to jet down? or maybe mess with needles to get it back to where it was? I live in Alberta Canada, sitting at about 2500 feet above sea level. No idea what jets are in it, assume stock. Thanks for any help, I'm aggravated after hearing so many with no troubles running these slip-ons. It only sounds good at idle or when revved up in neutral, cruising down highway is not impressive at all, somethings gotta give here.

You could jet down to 150 or even 147.5 Mikuni mains.
I'd also check for leaks at the exhaust joints, boots, etc. something doesn't sound right with your bike.
It should run fine (slightly rich) with no discs or caps and really well with 6-8 discs and closed caps.
I have stock jetting and a K&N filter and run the open caps around town (runs slightly rich) and change out to the closed caps with 8 discs for group rides and my Vmax runs Great.
I'm at about 800 feet above sea level but I regularly ride up to around 1,200-1,500 feet above sea level.
I also ride into the Allegheny Mountains a few times a year, at around 1,500-3,000 feet above sea level without any issues.
And my plugs always look great.

Attachments

• Vmax_Spark_Plug_Color.jpg
    Vmax_Spark_Plug_Color.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 11
I ran them with stock jetting, with out the disks and end caps and with 13 disk per side and an end cap, had to adjust the A/F screws and sync my carbs to get rid of the popping, the only difference I really noticed is how much louder it is without the disks and end caps.

With a stock bike and slipons your not going to really gain anything but sound:biglaugh:

I am going to try 7 disks with a end cap and see if it makes a difference or not, let ya know.

All I know is........running open Traps on Max will get you 2nd place at the Cabbage Patch in Daytona Bike week....................

Well I put 7 disk per side with a end cap, adjusted the A/f screws and took her for a ride, wow what a difference nice crisp throttle, more low end power sounds better and no popping:punk:

Well I put 7 disk per side with a end cap, adjusted the A/f screws and took her for a ride, wow what a difference nice crisp throttle, more low end power sounds better and no popping:punk:
Glad to hear it.

I'm running open trapps, vboost open all the time. K&n no y on filter housing. Sounds mean as hell idling like a built v8 no problems with power. Throttle is a little touchy, you best hang on when taking off from a stop, it'll rock my head back if I'm not ready lol. Haven't lost any mpgs either. Definitely a head Turner. I saw a guy just about fall from behind an island at the gas station to see what the hell I was riding. Even had a Harley guy ask me what it was, and coulndt stop talking about how good it sounded lol.

Back