Removing the "Y" from the air box.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
I pulled mine out in the first few months after getting my 06. Has anybody ever tested the Y on a dyno or drag strip to see if it makes a difference pulling it out? I never did put it back in. I hate to be costing myself some HP. I removed it after reading a article on vmax outlaw airbox midificatios.

We tried taking mine off when the '99 was on the PCW dyno, it ran terrible, was popping under accelleration, the guy shut the run down and replaced the 'Y.'

Mark's pipes, stock jetting, COP's, 1mm needle shim, A/F screws 3 1/4 turns out.

I fought a gurgle at about 2000rpm while running with the y removed.
Just on a whim I put the y back on and it disappeared.
I asked the local dealer about it...he talked about the vacumn that helps the diaphams, being CV carbs.
I just shrugged it off, happy I had cured the problem.
Does anyone have input on this?

I have an 85/ a Hole Shot 4-2, stage 1 jetting with one shim on the needle, A/F is 3.5 turns.

so I guess if I like the way my bike runs dont screw with it lol. I guess I wille leave it off for now.

I used to run mine with it off and it ran a little crappy at low rpm, but when I spoke to Dale Walker, he told me about velocityvs. volume and told me to put it back on so I did and kept it on till I got the muscle kit from Sean.
All having it removed did was dirty my filter too quick.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Yes but that isnt a rule I live by . My vmax looked and ran just fine when I bought it but I just cant ,not f&^% with it. lol. Think I am bad with my Vmaxes you should see what I do with Mustangs. :biglaugh:

Yes but that isnt a rule I live by . My vmax looked and ran just fine when I bought it but I just cant ,not f&^% with it. lol. Think I am bad with my Vmaxes you should see what I do with Mustangs. :biglaugh:

:rofl_200: I talk the talk, but can't leave anything alone either!! There's just no fun in not messin' with stuff!! :rofl_200:

:rofl_200: I talk the talk, but can't leave anything alone either!! There's just no fun in not messin' with stuff!! :rofl_200:

are there people out there who DON'T mess with stuff? if so, i don't think they're normal... :ummm:

I have never been 'normal', I guess.

Bought my '07 new, other than tires and oil changes, and Sean Morley tighting my head bearings, I have never turned a wrench on it. It runs GREAT, and am still under WARRANTY until Nov '11. No serious Mods until then.

Bought my '07 new, other than tires and oil changes, and Sean Morley tighting my head bearings, I have never turned a wrench on it. It runs GREAT, and am still under WARRANTY until Nov '11. No serious Mods until then.

You are probably the smartest guy on this site....:worthy: :rofl_200:

You are probably the smartest guy on this site....:worthy: :rofl_200:
Smartest guy? Hell yeah, just think all the mod money Hatter is saving up that as soon as that warranty runs out he'll be bolting on upgrades, sidegrades, every which way kinda grade he can think of!:biglaugh:

Smartest guy? Hell yeah, just think all the mod money Hatter is saving up that as soon as that warranty runs out he'll be bolting on upgrades, sidegrades, every which way kinda grade he can think of!:biglaugh:

This is very true!! Once it starts, there's no escarpe!!! :rofl_200:

Well, I am trying to save up for some FatMax bags and a Rifle sport fairing. I have a Givi box (not on yet). I am looking to make it into a TourMax similar to Naughty G's.

are there people out there who DON'T mess with stuff? if so, i don't think they're normal... :ummm:

Mine's an 85 I bought new and I've left it pretty much stock, give or take the bigger battery mod and the small, tinted wind screen. I consider myself normal. (even though there was that one time my Ex claimed I wasn't in court) :ummm:

I ride at about 4500 ft would taking the Y off help or hinder my stock 85 max? Also is it true the 85 max carbs are jetted differntly as in the two front carbs are bigger jets than the rear carbs or the other way around?:confused2:

AFAIK taking the Y off is a bad idea - it's doesn't help at all. Shimming it up a bit is what Sean Morley recommends, and he's done a LOT of dyno testing.

I dont know if it is a bad Idea. A lot of kits just plain get ride of it. I think if your bike runs fine with out it leave it off. Sean said it is woth 1 hp having it offf lol

Back