Rev Limiter Ideas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gennro

Reaction score
Alright I had an idea to use a adjustable RPM switch as a rev limiter. Now the idea is at a set rpm is to cut the power to the TCI or the coils. Now the question is what would be safer on the electronics. Cutting power to the TCI or to the coils? I'm thinking cutting power to the coils would be best since the TCI only grounds the coils to fire them.

Other question what would be a safe RPM limit 10krpm for the stock motor?

Over 9,000 rpm the stocker is dropping off on torque and horsepower.. Not much point to going 10,000... Since you are going to fall flat when the limiter kicks in, 9,500 would be good and try to shift at 9k...

I would do the coils but I would only do one of the front coils and one on the back. This way when you hit the limiter your not cutting out the whole engine.

Over 9,000 rpm the stocker is dropping off on torque and horsepower.. Not much point to going 10,000... Since you are going to fall flat when the limiter kicks in, 9,500 would be good and try to shift at 9k...

+1. If you're doing an all out drag effort, I'd shift at 10k and have a limiter at 10,500. However, on the street there isn't a lot to be gained by wringing things out past 9k on a regular basis, other than stretched rods. I have my shift light set for 8,800 rpm, and catch my shifts when it lights, which for the first gear shift is usually right about on the 9,500rpm limiter, the rest are a bit earlier around 9k as the revs arn't growing as quick as they do in first.

We had a lot of good discussion in this thread: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16619 I ultimately ended up with both a limiter and a shift light, two very good investments in my opinion.

Yeah I think I'll set for 10k for now so it will be like a stop safe just incase the engine goes that high. I'll have my trailtech vapor that has a built in shiftlight to let me know to shift. I'll prolly set the low to 8750 and high to 9250.

I'll do the cut power to two coils so it will be like most rev limiters are these days.

RPM window switches are pretty cheap, I would do a soft/hard setup if you're able to pick and choose which coils you can cut off. I'd set a low limiter to pull off 2 coils at like 9500rpm and then I'd have a second window switch to cut off the the remaining 2 coils at 10,000rpm. If you only cut 2 coils, and you miss a shift and do a hard neutral over-rev, you're gonna rev right past 10k and keep on climbing into the "no-zone." With a soft/hard, you get a soft limiter as kinda a last ditch reminder to shift, and then the hard limiter to keep things safe on an unloaded over-rev.

The 2 coil limit might even be enough of a cut in power to give you clutchless shifts, just preload the shift lever as you pull past your shift light at say 9000rpm, then when you hit your soft limit at 9500rpm, it'll slide right into the next gear, no clutch or lift.

RPM window switches are pretty cheap, I would do a soft/hard setup if you're able to pick and choose which coils you can cut off. I'd set a low limiter to pull off 2 coils at like 9500rpm and then I'd have a second window switch to cut off the the remaining 2 coils at 10,000rpm. If you only cut 2 coils, and you miss a shift and do a hard neutral over-rev, you're gonna rev right past 10k and keep on climbing into the "no-zone." With a soft/hard, you get a soft limiter as kinda a last ditch reminder to shift, and then the hard limiter to keep things safe on an unloaded over-rev.

The 2 coil limit might even be enough of a cut in power to give you clutchless shifts, just preload the shift lever as you pull past your shift light at say 9000rpm, then when you hit your soft limit at 9500rpm, it'll slide right into the next gear, no clutch or lift.

Awesome ideas man! PLus you might get that cool backfire when making those clutchless WOT shifts

Back