Rich or Lean right off idle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question please guys, I'm at 5,200 feet altitude. Bike is a 97 V-max, 147.5 mains, dynajet needles w/clip at 3rd groove from the top, 2.5 turns on the mixture screws, k&n filter in the box, Seans COP kit, stock exhaust and no motor work. So, if I obstruct the air inlet at the top of the airbox and the throttle response improves tremendously right off idle does this mean the bike is running lean or rich?
I thought I knew this but my senile brain is failing me.Thanks in advance for your response.

My dementia-addled brain says, you've richened the mixture. Think about it, you're restricting air, so the same amount of gas, for less air.

If you richen it up, by restricting the air.....your lean on the fuel. Try turning out the A/F screws a bit, 3-4 turns out total.

T
If you richen it up, by restricting the air.....your lean on the fuel. Try turning out the A/F screws a bit, 3-4 turns out total.
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking but was doubting myself. This altitude situation has me all screwed up. I'm originally from Calif in the SF Bay Area- sea level. I was getting some exhaust popping on throttle roll off which is a lean indication. Back to needle height and mixture screws.
Any other tips/guidance, I'm all ears!

Back