Roku

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I just got my ROKU LT video streaming device in the mail today. Took all of 5 minutes to activate, and it's amazing! Lots of free content is built in, but we also subscribed to Netflix for $8.00 / month. $49.00 shipped, and worth every penny!

They're a pretty cool gadget, really come down in price. Seem to remember they were like $200 or $250 when they first came out.

The instant netflix is pretty sweet for just getting on and browsing for a movie that looks interesting, but it usually disappoints if there's a specific title you want....only a small fraction of the Netflix library is available instantly, some movies are only on instant for a limited time then vanish again, ect. Sometimes a few seasons of a show are on instant and the rest aren't, or the sequel to a movie is available but the first isn't, you get the idea. No real rhyme or reason to it.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly this does. I already have Netflix. Does this some how make it better. Does it give you some kind of free portal into the other movie type channels. Does it make my regular TV stations into HD. Its something I'm interested in, but I'm not quite getting my head around it. Also is there any type of monthly fee:ummm:

It lets you get internet-streaming content onto a standard TV. So you can watch the "instant" netflix on your couch instead of on your computer screen, in addition to other similar services (like hulu and stuff). If the content is in HD, and you hook it up with an HD cable, you will get HD picture on your tv.

Think of it as an "internet to TV" adapter. The box itself has no cost other than the initial purchase. It grants you access to services you already pay for (netflix) and some that are free via your TV. No additional fees to get them through the roku box.

It doesn't affect normal cable or on-air TV.

Never head of this thing. Kinda neat. I guess since I don't have the internet in my home it would be of no use to me. I use a laptop with an internal air card for any internet browsing. I connect my laptop to my TV to use Netflix. I see where this would be nice as you could browse movies with a remote control instead of using the laptop to find it and then hook it up and display it.

Either way, I think Netflix blows. Very few good movies on there to watch instantly. I'd pay a few more $'s/month if they had a better selection.

Any gamers in here I recently bought an x box 360 setup to play call of duty with family and friends and it also streams Netflix and hulu pretty cool I hooked up the connect for my daughter and can voice camand the Netflix menu!!

Not cheap but lotsa lulz

I know the 360 and PS3 both stream Netflix on your tv, and I think the Wii got this feature not too long ago as well. I have a PS3 but rarely ever use it....only for games I can't get for my PC. PC games generally cost less and look better.

Netflix instant usually disappoints if I'm looking for a specific movie, but if I'm bored I can usually find something interesting to watch.

If your a fan of the "teen sex comedy" or more grown up "college frat sex comedy", low-budget documentaries about pot/gay rights/politics/corporate greed, or recent theatrical flops, you'll find a lot to love about netflix instant, since the above categories make up probably 50% of the titles.

I play COD on 360, add me to your friends list, Ben187s, make sure you say who you know me from here!

We just got the $8/mo Netflix service through our Wii about a week ago and really like it.Not a lot of new releases on Netflix but we can watch unlimited movies on our phones,computer and the living room tv. I was thinking about getting another Wii, X- box or PS for the tv down stairs to get Netflix for my father-in-law but this sounds like a cheaper way to go. Thanks for the tip!
Mike

Back