rotella T oil question:

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently running this exact oil in my MAX - it has no friction modifiers in it - it won't make the clutches slip. If you already have it, I say "thumbs up".

I'm running the Rottella T5-40 and It seems to be fine so far,My problem with shifting gears is that my shifter is bent!!!So it's a pain in the ass but everything seems to be working good.I spent the time and read the Oil thread at the top of the page.LOL!!!yes I do have to much time on my hands,But some excellent info in that thread.

I have used both the synthetic 5w40 (blue jug) and the regular blend 15w40 (white jug). I feel that the tranny shifts better with blue, but I don't wanttto ruin a clutch when I run her hard, so If I am going to run her hard, I will keep the regular dino oil in her. JMO

Interesting. Richwrench: you been running the synth? How many miles have you put on her with it?

I have about 1 or 2K on this oil. The big thing to watch for is the energy star on the label - if it says "energy conserving" it has friction modifiers in it & can make your clutch slip. As long as it doesn't have that your OK. disclaimer : I don't race my bike - I'm a street rider. Some guys that take their bikes to the track & push them to the limit don't always like syn - I can't dispute that - I've never raced. Check out the oil thread - MANY opinions as to what is best...

Ya in the end you can use pretty much any quality oil of the appropriate viscosity for your local temperatures.

Two rules:

1. No friction modifiers / energy conserving oils - bad for clutch.

2. Change it often!

Diddo! Same oil in my max and my SV1000S with ZERO issues! It's good stuff.

Try it! Heck I even use it in my snow thrower and my lawn mower!

Anything WITHOUT a catalytic convertor!

Chris

I've run the 15 40 synthetic in all of my quads for the last 5 years, my next oil change for the max will be 15w40 synthetic.

Back