Rotor Mounting Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax Steve

Reaction score
I'm replacing the rear rotor on my 92. Removing the rotor mounting bolts from the wheel was a real chore since someone had borrowed my 6mm driver and I had to use a run of the mill hex wrench. Needless to say, it took a while.

The bolts came out really clean, but it looks like they had blue loctite applied at the factory. Should I reapply blue in reassembling, and what do you recommend for cleaning the bolts and bolt holes before assembly?

If it weren't a brake assembly, I'd almost be tempted to put some anti-seize on the bolts and really torque them down. Would that be suicidal? Sure would make them easier to get out next time!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Steve

Steve,

I installed my rotors front and rear. I used blue Loctite and I have never had a single problem.

How often do you plan on taking them on and off? I am sure that I am going to leave mine on for quite some time to come, thus the loctite.

Hope this helps you.

Yes clean the bolt threads with a "Texas Tooth brush" and reapply blue loctite.

Remember that red is NEVER to be used on aluminum.

Rotor installed, new used caliper installed, new HH pads, stainless steel line, DOT 4, everything works great! No problems encountered with an empty reservoir - took a while to get fluid coming from the calipers, but just about when I was ready to start worrying, here comes the fluid.

What is the accepted method of securing the line to the swing arm? It runs through the guides, but is of course a smaller diameter than the original line. I don't think it is going anywhere resting "free" along the swing arm, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Rotor installed, new used caliper installed, new HH pads, stainless steel line, DOT 4, everything works great! No problems encountered with an empty reservoir - took a while to get fluid coming from the calipers, but just about when I was ready to start worrying, here comes the fluid.

What is the accepted method of securing the line to the swing arm? It runs through the guides, but is of course a smaller diameter than the original line. I don't think it is going anywhere resting "free" along the swing arm, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

I've used colored "zip" ties, then just trimmed the extra.

You can also "pinch" the factory holder down to a smaller size if you can do it without screwing up the paint or you could also "shim" it with some clear tygon tubing maybe?

Rusty

Be careful when crimping down the factory brake line holder. You can crack the paint and it'll rust. I used a black wire tie on the line holder and it does a pretty good job of being hidden and holding the line.:thumbs up:

Back