Royal Star 5th gear swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I am probably the one credited for coming up with the idea and implementation. If you are going to have the trans worked on then it's a viable option. Otherwise its pretty expensive to have done for just that since there is a lot of labor to R&R the trans.

Cost runs about $300 for the gears and mating work in addition to the regular undercut service ($350 and up).

expect 20-25% RPM reduction in fifth gear. 80mph is only 4000rpm.

The factory trans is already undercut but this allows for better enguagement and is good for both street and race.

Sean Morley

Yeah, I could see doing it for a 1327 or higher but the stock 5th gear is "slow" enough as it is.

Mark

I like it myself even with a stock engine.

You can get through a full quarter in fourth gear so fifth is pointless on the street and you're going to lose after that minimum to everything larger then a 500cc sportbike after that anyway.

I lost .3 tenths at the track and 3mph when trying the venture rear end on a engine with stock bore so that actually was "cutting the nuts off" in my opinion.

Now the Venture rear and the royal fifth was pretty wild. Top speed in the 230 mph range easily. Of course it would take some serious HP to get there.

Sean

PCW recommended against the RS 5th due to too big of a strain on 4th when downshifting. Is there an advantage going with all venture gears? he's done it for a few.
PCW also now makes a 1600 tourmaster.

Back